Another "waiting for root device" problem *solved*

mattt4001

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been enjoying osx on my pc for about a year now. However, recently one of my hard drives (holding win 7) has begun to fail. The last time i tried to get in windows, the mbr was broken. I decided to use some software on a bootable flash drive to fix my problems. I was able to fix the mbr and I checked the consistency of my drive. note: i did nothing (I think) to the osx drive. The next time I tried to boot into osx I got the "waiting for root device". I have tried all of the fixes I can find on the internet, but none of them work. I says it is "UUID" for the device, I have a feeling this is the problem. I used the rd=disk*s*, with the * as the disk and partition. However I did not know how you find this info, so I tried most of the probable combinations. Any advice would be helpful, I am able to access my osx drive through windows.

*The issue was fixed by booting into install dvd and running fsck through terminal. More info here http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1417

When I tried rd=disk1 the boot process got a little further.

Now it says,

disk 1; major 14, minor 2
cannot mount root, errno 19

I think there is something wrong with the disk, however everything is still on it. Could it be some sort of disk id or mbr like code got corrupt?

If all fails I would create a dummy new install on a different drive, boot from it and then use Chameleon to recreate the boot loader on your main drive. It has happened to me before, this ( for me) is the quickest way without any additional debug time. I have a 250 GIG old drive with a vanilla OSX install that I usually store just for these examples.

My setup is 80GIG G2 SSD ( OSX boot) , my user files are symbolic linked to a secondary 1.5 TB ... so if my system disk is bad I dont need to worry about my user data. For my SSD i did a simple dd and stored the raw image for later issues/crashes etc/etc .. you never know.

Hope this helps.

I decided to boot up the install disk and found out some new things. I used disk utility and the hd with osx will not mount. Its partiton scheme is MBR. Does anyone know why it won't mount? Should it be guid or mbr? Everything is still on the disk and is accessible in windows so its not a disk failure. Is there any way to solve it without loosing everything?