Cannot Install Office 2011 under Snow Leopard 10.6.4

lopitoz

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, after doing some searching and finding nothing about this i decided to start this topic, i have a Compaq Mini CQ10-120LA, (Dual Boot Snow Leo/Win XP SP3, intel atom processor, 2GB RAM, GMA945 graphics, Ethernet and WiFi not working but i can live with that =P) i first used iatkos v7 and had 10.5.8 on it, but i wanted to check if facetime beta worked on it, but it only works with snow leo so i backed up my files and used iatkos s3 v2 to install 10.6.3, later i downloaded the 10.6.4 +900MB update file (not with software update, i got it from the apple website), so i have 10.6.4 running (after i changed the kernel flags because it wasn't running...) i have Adobe CS5 Master Collection Working Fine (Ps, Ai, Id, Dw, etc...) i was working with office 2008 with no problems when i decided to install office 2011 i uninstalled office 2008 and when trying to install 2011 i got this message when i selected the disk where i wanted to install, i captured the image, i don't know why it does this... my only guess is that when i updated to 10.6.4 it messed up with something.

Another problem i get also is that i get a blank screen on the application window when using preview to check pictures (thumbnails are there and look fine but main window is blank) and also when trying to play the zombies vs plants game (i can only hear the game sounds) (i can run the Windows version when booting that OS).

... here's some images with the first issue (pictures i took with my phone because the grab application gave me a white image ¬¬) i hope someone can help me out with this... thanks in advance...

post-625294-1292082618_thumb.jpg

post-625294-1292082655_thumb.jpg

post-625294-1292082702_thumb.jpg

hmmm i've tried editing my SystemVersion.plist file, and after that my applications did not work, i edited the build serial number and changed from 10.6.4 to 10.5.8, 10.6 etc... with no luck... it still shows the same window message... i also unpacked the office installer file and looked around for the files responsible for checking the system version but still no luck... i will keep working on this and hope i can come out with a solution...

might not be the the suggestion you´ve been waiting for:

get rid of that s**** and use open office - it is even better in a few points. on my first hacki I installed the Office 2008 version which caused problems all the time and it was really slow.

since using open office no more problems :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
hmmm i've tried editing my SystemVersion.plist file, and after that my applications did not work, i edited the build serial number and changed from 10.6.4 to 10.5.8, 10.6 etc... with no luck... it still shows the same window message... i also unpacked the office installer file and looked around for the files responsible for checking the system version but still no luck... i will keep working on this and hope i can come out with a solution...

I had this same error message, when I was using a 'touch'ed ServerVersion.plist file to get OS X 10.6.6 client to load under VMware Fusion 3.1.3 (yes, I'm running OS X in VMware under OS X). The file, empty but present, caused most installers to fail;

Safari 5.0.5 failed with "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update," Office 2011 complained about the version needing to be at least 10.5.8, other installers complained about "An error occurred while evaluating Javascript for the package" and Acrobat X Pro complained "This software can only be installed on a machine with Mac OS X 10.5 or higher."

Removing the ServerVersion.plist file (and then 'touch'ing it before rebooting) cured the situation, and the installers ran normally. Maybe try nuking SystemVersion.plist? (I just checked and that file doesn't exist on my system, and Office 2011 installed properly.)

/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist was the file I nuked, for anyone else coming along via Google. (I pulled my hair out for an evening before a logfile line, Exception thrown while running volume check. TypeError: Result of expression 'my.target.systemVersion' [null], lead me to think about the ServerVersion.plist file... )