[HELP] How to Install Mac OS X 10.6 on HP G72 laptop

compaqtosh

3 posts in this topic

Hi all you Mac fans. I recently bought a new HP G72-B62US laptop on Black Friday from Office Depot. The laptop is not the most powerful but I just want a nice big screen laptop with a 10-key keyboard to make work easier when entering numbers...

Anyway, I've been trying several different methods to install Mac OS X 10.6 on this laptop and nothing works. I've tried the USB flash drive method and it doesn't boot. I've tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], Chameleon, and Mammoth's boot cd, and they all got me to the bootloader to select what to startup, such as Mac OS X Install DVD, Mac OS X Install USB flash drive, Windows, Recovery... but when ever I select the Mac OS Install DVD or Mac OS Install USB flash drive it would get to the gray apple screen and then get a message saying something like "Restart your computer by holding the power button" or something like that in several different languages. What is wrong with my computer or what I am doing wrong?

I can boot from my old Compaq laptop, currently running Mac OS X 10.5.6, using the bootloader CD and switching to the Mac OS X 10.6.3 Install DVD method. But the Installer won't let me install Mac OS X... I get a message saying something like "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

I am suspecting my hardware is too new and there is no boot software instruction written for my computer yet. Or my BIOS is the problem. Or DSDT is incompatible with my hardware. What is DSDT anyway and how do I get the DSDT file for my hardware?

My spec is:

HP G72-B62US

Intel Pentium P6100 dual core processor @ 2Ghz

4BG RAM

250GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

HDMI port

3 USB ports

5-in-1 media card slot

Dual layer DVD burner with lightscribe

17" LED screen

Intel HD Graphic

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or not doing? I've been following these instructions and none of them work:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221653

http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to-build...ight-easy-steps

Please HELP!!! :);):)

• Like 1

Ok, I think I am not able to successfully boot from the boot CD and into the Mac OS X Install DVD because the CD probably does not support my graphic card. It is an Intel HD graphics card. Every time I boot up it ends at "DSMOS has arrived". Now I need a patch for DSMOS and/or I need the correct dsdt.aml file for my computer.

UPDATE

I finally got the installation DVD booted up by using EMPIRE EFI /NAWSOM boot CD. The boot process was still not smooth but I figured out what was wrong. My CPU is too new and my Mac OS X 10.6.3 Installation DVD doesn't support it. I was able to install Mac OS X 10.6.3:) Now I just can't boot:( Again, it has to do with my CPU. I need Mac OS X 10.6.4 and later to support my CPU and Intel HD Graphics. Now on to the 10.6.5 combo update! :)

If you have a newer i3 or i5 or i7 Intel processor you will need to type:"-cpus=1 busratio=#" to boot up from the boot CD. The # is whatever your busratio is. Go find out from intel.com for your processor.

BTW, a restore Mac OS X 10.6 DVD won't work. It has to be a retail DVD. I bought mine for only $27.

• Like 1

SUCCESS! I finally got Mac OS X 10.6.3 installed and be able to boot up. However, I can only boot up using -cpus=1 busratio=15 ever time I start the computer :) Anyone with any suggestions?

Ok, I think I am not able to successfully boot from the boot CD and into the Mac OS X Install DVD because the CD probably does not support my graphic card. It is an Intel HD graphics card. Every time I boot up it ends at "DSMOS has arrived". Now I need a patch for DSMOS and/or I need the correct dsdt.aml file for my computer.

UPDATE

I finally got the installation DVD booted up by using EMPIRE EFI /NAWSOM boot CD. The boot process was still not smooth but I figured out what was wrong. My CPU is too new and my Mac OS X 10.6.3 Installation DVD doesn't support it. I was able to install Mac OS X 10.6.3:) Now I just can't boot:( Again, it has to do with my CPU. I need Mac OS X 10.6.4 and later to support my CPU and Intel HD Graphics. Now on to the 10.6.5 combo update! :)

If you have a newer i3 or i5 or i7 Intel processor you will need to type:"-cpus=1 busratio=#" to boot up from the boot CD. The # is whatever your busratio is. Go find out from intel.com for your processor.

BTW, a restore Mac OS X 10.6 DVD won't work. It has to be a retail DVD. I bought mine for only $27.