is this possible? (Repost since link was broken)

tsungchot

3 posts in this topic

sry for repost because... the link got broken or something... i no i posted earlier... but since link was broken.... i couldn't do anything but put topic again.

CPU = Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W

mobo = ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

HDD = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal HDD-Bare Drive

RAM = CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

(PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory.

Video = EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB or XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870

(Not really sure which one to go with... but I know ATI 5770 will

good for sure)

My question is... with this combo... can i actually buy snow leopard disk and install it with no problem? (so i can update no problem)

or do i still have to tweak it?

and also... (trying to have another 2TB HDD and install windows 7, no bootcamp will be used. i'll just load windows 7 from bios whenever i have to)

Please help me. trying to build decent mac with small money.

Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...
sry for repost because... the link got broken or something... i no i posted earlier... but since link was broken.... i couldn't do anything but put topic again.

CPU = Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W

mobo = ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

HDD = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal HDD-Bare Drive

RAM = CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

(PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory.

(Not really sure which one to go with... but I know ATI 5770 will

good for sure)

My question is... with this combo... can i actually buy snow leopard disk and install it with no problem? (so i can update no problem)

or do i still have to tweak it?

and also... (trying to have another 2TB HDD and install windows 7, no bootcamp will be used. i'll just load windows 7 from bios whenever i have to)

Please help me. trying to build decent mac with small money.

Thank You.

Hi,

I am at best an amateur at this but since I have a similar setup(different vid card, memory, and hd), I will say you will have to do some tweaking. It seems that OS X hates this motherboard. I had good luck installing with nawcom bootCD + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with a 10.6 OS X disc(that was put on usb).

I was able to get a successful install but there is no sound (Realtek ALC892 Audio). There is a workaround if you dont mind static. Also it looks as though the JMicron and the Marvell Controller are not recognized since my devices all say unknown sata controller (but the hard drives work fine).

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. I will do what I can to help.

Speedbump

I might be wrong but AFAIRK Fermi-based nVIDIA cards are not yet supported by Mac OS X, so you'd better stick with an older-generation nVIDIA card that is supported for sure.