Inspiron 8600 and Atheros a/b/g card - hardware restriction?

3 posts in this topic

I took out a Atheros a/b/g card from a Thinkpad T40 and put it in a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. Windows recognizes it as a new hardware but after installing the drivers it says it has a problem (exclamation mark)...I tired the atheros drivers after googling but still no luck. In OSX 10.4.7...with the IO8011Family.kext from 10.4.5 the card is recognized, seems to pick up access points but it won't connect to any of them (tried the open unrestricted access points too). If the a/b/g card is in the Thinkpad it works perfectly fine in Windows and OSX. Anyone know why? Is there a restriction on the a/b/g card or on the dell laptop? Any possibility of a workaround?

Yeah tried that...I think once i did the en0 to en1 trick...the Airport Icon popped up and it seemed to pick up nearby access points. I tried my home WEP enabled AP and it wouldn't connect. Tried a couple of local AP's without encryption and it couldn't connect to them either. I have a feeling there somekind of a restriction somewhere. Tried a atheros a/b card (from a thinkpad also) which works in XP, but of course OS X doesn't pick it up at all. Likewise a cisco 340 mini-pci and DLink DWL-G650 work in XP, but not in OS X. This a/b/g card is the only that I have had success with but on a Thinkpad which is for work. Its so close to working in OS X...but somethings fuxxing it up.