AppleScript won't run on AMD, VMWare, 10.6.4

djbell

3 posts in this topic

I've managed to get 10.6.4 running pretty nicely in VMWare, and have been using it for work for a couple of weeks. The first hint that I had a problem was that AFP doesn't work, but it's easy enough to substitute SMB so I didn't worry about it.

Today, doing billing, I need to run a bunch of AppleScripts. Unfortunately, I get an immediate Syntax Error when I try to compile or run one. Syntax highlighting doesn't work either. Super weird. Even compiled AppleScripts don't work, as far as I can tell.

I searched my butt off, and read about Marvin's AMD Utility. I ran that, and it patched a bunch of stuff, but nothing seems to have changed.

The only things I've encountered that don't work are AFP and Applescript. Obviously Quartz and other visual effects don't work in VMWare, and I'm also having some sound driver problems that aren't high on my priority list to fix.

Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

It's not a problem with AppleScript per se, it seems to be a problem with some specific library (or libraries), related to or including text processing. It is true that compiling AppleScript in the AppleScript Editor throws up a Syntax Error and many of the OSX86 community's utilities won't run due to AppleScript failures, but I have been able to get a few utilities to run. For example, an AppleScript that calculates event times in iCal works. Also, another script was successful as a standalone applescript, but failed as part of an Automator action. Bananas.

The most common error is associated with the following console message: CoreEndianFlipData: error -4940 returned for rsrc type aeut (id 0, length 32284, native = no)

If I were to guess at the problem, maybe I haven't been successful patching binaries for use with AMD, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about that.

Any clues would be very much appreciated.

I'm totally embarrassed, but if I had read my previous post out lout to myself, I would have figured it out quicker. Rereading the documentation on this forum about the Don't Panic download solved my problem; I just had to clean up the cpuid.txt file and run it again . . . and again and again until it finished cleanly. I got some kernel panics after rebooting but a "cold" restart did the trick.

Now, work on sound & 2D stuttering and I'll have an VMWare install as good as any. :-)

All of my sincere thanks to this fantastic community.