boot0: error After Time Machine Backup

Jordan Young

2 posts in this topic

Greetings,

Looking for some guidance. I built my computer several months ago and have been running a Kakewalk install. Hardware is a GA-EX58-UD5 mobo & Core i7-930. Everything was running great until I tried to boot last night and it was hanging at the apple logo screen. Wheel just kept spinning and it couldn't boot.

I booted up my Snow Leopard install via USB HDD and ran disk utility, it said the drive needed to be repaired. Repaired it and tried booting again, but still no dice. Ran disk utility again and the drive verified fine with no errors.

At this point I decided to try a restore from a recent Time Machine backup. Afterwards I was greeted with the boot:0 error right after Verifying DMI Pool data. From what I've read, this is because Time Machine doesn't backup the bootloader since it's on a separate, hidden partition. Makes sense.

So now I'm trying to boot from either my USB Snow Leopard or the SL DVD to get the bootloader installed. I've tried changing the boot order in the BIOS, and using the F12 boot menu, but every time I just get the boot0 error.

What am I missing here? How can I get past the boot0 to fix this? Appreciate any suggestions, and the noob tolerance.

Thank you.

I think I've almost got this sorted. I was able to boot into Win7 on my other drive. From there I found a Chameleon installer for Windows and installed that. I'm now able to boot my Snow Leopard drive. Currently it's stuck at 1024x768 resolution, so I'm guessing Time Machine didn't restore the proper kexts needed for my 9800 GT.

On to figuring out what Kakewalk actually installs to make things work. Kind of wish I went with a manual install so I knew more about this, but I guess I'm learning now. I will update this post again in case anyone has similar issues.

As to why my SL drive stopped booting in the first place, it's still a mystery. Was running 10.6.4 at the time.