Dual Booting Problems PLEASE HELP

RPepper

9 posts in this topic

I've been stuck on this problem for a while now. I successfully installed osx86 using nawcom boot cd with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and myhack for booting. Updated to 10.6.4 got ethernet working etc. When I installed osx I disconnected the other drives. I have two drives using INTEL Matrix Storgae ICH9R RAID controller for my windows 7 system. When I plugged them back in "could not find system".

In the BIOS I switched back my HD controller to RAID from AHCI. Now my old windows 7 system is booting. When I disconnect my RAID drives(only when I disconnect otherwise nothing boots) and switch back to AHCI my osx boots again. Is there any possible way to make a dual boot happen with this setup? I have a asus p5k-d wifi which also has a jmicron raid controller should I resetup a new raid array with this or another type of setup?

I don't wan't to have to take my case apart everytime I wanna switch from osx to win7. Now I might be able to live with just being able to switch AHCI to RAID in order to switch between the systems however I would like to transfer files between the two. I've been thinking of what to do and can only come up with deleting my RAID array and seperating my win 7 drives :) but I wouldn't know how to transfer all the files to my osx drive because they won't work with each other. Any tips at all would be super helpful thanks.

I would like to transfer files between the two. I've been thinking of what to do and can only come up with deleting my RAID array and seperating my win 7 drives sad.gif but I wouldn't know how to transfer all the files to my osx drive because they won't work with each other
Such RAID types are not supported by OS X. If you REALLY need RAID for Windows and OS X to coexist peacefully, buy OS X compatible RAID PCI-E card (i.e. HighPoint).

If you may live without on-board RAID (which may not be very reliable solution for storing important data) or hardware RAID, then you can clone your Windows partition(s) (with Clonezilla Live CD or similar tool) to an USB drive or an additional drive (borrow one if you can). Then remove RAID and install both OSs on separate drives (AHCI mode).

Such RAID types are not supported by OS X. If you REALLY need RAID for Windows and OS X to coexist peacefully, buy OS X compatible RAID PCI-E card (i.e. HighPoint).

If you may live without on-board RAID (which may not be very reliable solution for storing important data) or hardware RAID, then you can clone your Windows partition(s) (with Clonezilla Live CD or similar tool) to an USB drive or an additional drive (borrow one if you can). Then remove RAID and install both OSs on separate drives (AHCI mode).

Ok thanks that's kinda what I was thinking. I would just back everything up and stop my RAID but it's full of about 930GB worth of stuff now the drive I bought for os x is 1TB which is plenty to backup my files however one is in AHCI the other in RAID as my 8gb usb drive won't cut it lol. Is there anyway to view my OS X AHCI drive under Windows 7 in my RAID array to copy files?

So lets say I did get a RAID OS X card would I still set mode to AHCI install windows to the RAID card/array then install os x to my on board SATA port right?

Also why do people have the INTEL RAID drivers for OS X if it won't work under AHCI mode?

I bought for os x is 1TB which is plenty to backup my files however one is in AHCI the other in RAID as my 8gb usb drive won't cut it lol. Is there anyway to view my OS X AHCI drive under Windows 7 in my RAID array to copy files?
Very good question! :robot: There is a solution IMHO. You need an USB enclosure for your 1TB disk. Then booted to Windows use either MacDrive or TransMac to copy the files to OS X partition. Or
you can clone your Windows partition(s) (with Clonezilla Live CD or similar tool) to an USB drive...(borrow one if you can).
So lets say I did get a RAID OS X card would I still set mode to AHCI install windows to the RAID card/array then install os x to my on board SATA port right?
Yeah, like that. Then Windows (or any other OS) is installed to a RAID volume on PCI RAID card, BIOS settings for the on-board controller HAS NO DIRECT EFFECT ON RAID volume (as it is connected to a self-contained SATA controller).

ACHI is needed for OS X - not for Windows installation. You should create a RAID volume, install Windows to it. Then set AHCI in BIOS and install OS X to a disc connected to MB.

Also why do people have the INTEL RAID drivers for OS X if it won't work under AHCI mode?
Please explain, don't get it! :)

Yeah, like that. Then Windows (or any other OS) is installed to a RAID volume on PCI RAID card, BIOS settings for the on-board controller HAS NO DIRECT EFFECT ON RAID volume (as it is connected to a self-contained SATA controller).

ACHI is needed for OS X - not for Windows installation. You should create a RAID volume, install Windows to it. Then set AHCI in BIOS and install OS X to a disc connected to MB.

Since I'm only using the RAID setup for my windows 7 is there a cheaper RAID controller I can get that I will be able to view my raid windows 7 drive in OS X? Because I do not need to boot os x from it. I have seen os x drivers for other raid controller cards that is why i ask. For instance another controller based on the INTEL MATRIX Storage like i had before and like you said install windows to it then switch in bios to AHCI install os x and with right drivers I would be able to view my raid drives as 1 drive in os x to transfer files to right?

install windows to it then switch in bios to AHCI install os x and with right drivers I would be able to view my raid drives as 1 drive in os x to transfer files to right?
Yes, exactly. I have a RAID volume too, but unfortunately it has no properly working driver (the driver is functional but provokes random KPs), it appears as a single volume, then a driver is loaded to OS X.

So if you could find a compatible card with working drivers, then such volume should be "visible" in OS X. Depending on file system driver(s) installed, read/write access should also work.

You can buy a used card, it should work as new, but costs less.

Yes, exactly. I have a RAID volume too, but unfortunately it has no properly working driver (the driver is functional but provokes random KPs), it appears as a single volume, then a driver is loaded to OS X.

So if you could find a compatible card with working drivers, then such volume should be "visible" in OS X. Depending on file system driver(s) installed, read/write access should also work.

You can buy a used card, it should work as new, but costs less.

Awesome thanks a ton. I have been researching the Sil 3132 based SATA RAID controllers and they have drivers however I have read that if you have over 3gb of ram(which i do) it freezes. But this was from people who were using it to boot off of do you know anything about these types of controllers? it says on kext.com that it works on 10.6.x so maybe i'll gamble. I really don't feel like forking out 150 bucks essentially for somthing I already have I will look on ebay though and thanks again.

...do you know anything about these types of controllers?
Nope...

There how it looks like then my RAID is detected by OS X.

post-663344-1289004251_thumb.png

The RAID is used for Windows backups. Contains 3 partitions... It is sad that it is not supported by the manufacturer (in OS X).

Nope...

There how it looks like then my RAID is detected by OS X.

post-663344-1289004251_thumb.png

The RAID is used for Windows backups. Contains 3 partitions... It is sad that it is not supported by the manufacturer (in OS X).

Hi I bought a sil 3132 RAID controller but. I installed windows 7 to it but now when I take it out and try to install osx I get a EBIOS sectors 0x09 error which was the same error I got when trying to install from my old raid setup but now it's in AHCI and everything is like before why would it not work? When I put the new raid card in would that have something to do with it even though i took it out for the osx install? Also the drive i'm installing osx onto in installed windows 7 to but that shouldn't matter. Anyway thanks for all the help again.