DVD Drives that Fail

fmillion

1 post in this topic

I had a SATA LG GH22LS30 DVD drive in my Hackintosh, and I was experiencing a problem with it "dropping" off the SATA bus. The message in Console was something along the lines of "Device reconfiguration failed". Basically, the drive would seem to go into some sort of sleep mode that the Mac couldn't wake it out of.

I have since switched to an older IDE based DVD burner with an IDE to SATA converter stuck on it and it is working fine. (It's a Lite-On unit.)

I am planning to do some further testing of this problem, but if anyone else has experience I thought it'd be a nice place to list drive models that we either know work or know don't work.

The problem is replicatable by inserting any disc into your DVD drive and waiting for at least 30 minutes, and at that time try to make use of the drive (even just try ejecting the disc). Important: don't do anything on the DVD drive during that time period. (Best yet, let the Mac sit unattended for that time.) If the disc still works, the drive should be OK. On drives that don't work, you'll experience a lag with the beachball and eventually the disc icon will go away but the drive will not have ejected it - and you can confirm the error message in Console.

Oh btw, this is on a Gigabyte P55M-UD2, and OS X reports it as the Intel series 5 SATA chipset.

FM