Graphic Designer looking for a Hackintosh Laptop for work

Christos Georgakas

7 posts in this topic

Hello all

my name is chris and i found this site this morning while trying to find a good or the best way to have a laptop for work.Unfortunatly for me in my country buying a mac seems like something for the elite of the graphic designers or those who want to show off.Iam neither.

So my good men and women i would like to ask some beginner questions and if someone has the time to answer them it would be nice!

1) What laptop would be good for print design,3d modelling,web design ?(considering installing Snow leopard) with my budget(around 1000euros) i find this as a good solution : Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv7-3175ev

2)installing a Mac OS in a pc laptop would that mean i get a more correct gamut callibration ? better colors maybe?

3)does it worth the trouble ?i mean will i get better performance?

4)what are the thing i need to notice in order to be able to install a Mac OS in a laptop?model?chip? iam open in specific laptop opinions.

5) i don't know get how questions will came up but in bottom line iam a graphic designer who wants to do his work with a laptop with correct colors (sRGB or CMYK)

p.s: i have done a good search in here and in many many sites but i need a barebone of info considering this whole fuss about hackintosh

p.s:bare with me :P

Anyway thank you in advance and hoping for some answers :(

edit: i forgot to say that iam not sure where i should post this but since the rules say newcomers should post here well!i leave it to the mods to do what they want with my post :P

Check this topic for some possible options when choosing the compatible model.

1) - Most likely it will work.

2) - Can not comment on that. But one is for sure - things look better on OS X.

3) - For the same price (as of Mac) you will get more performance per $. Especially if you buy it somewhere not in the US. In other words you could get same (or almost the same) hardware for less.

4) - a) It has to be Intel CPU based. b ) Chipset or at least South Bridge should be the same as of used in Macs. c) VGA should be one of these that are supported by OS X.

5) - Probably it is more the question of LCD screen and proper calibration.

Hello and thank you for your reply i appreciate it.

i will check the link to the post you gave seems there are a lot of info there!

2)that would be my guess since i have heard that mac has good and expensive color profiles for print purposes but it still sounds really good to say that things look better in osx

3) my thoughts exactly,just needed to hear it i guess :o

4) how do i find out about this "Chipset or at least South Bridge" ?

5)well then let me rephrase that : "any graphic designers here that would like to share their view about a good lcd monitor well for a laptop that is!

thank you!

4) how do i find out about this "Chipset or at least South Bridge" ?
See specification. Let's have a look to this one as an example:

Chipset: Intel PM45

This chipset has ICH9 South Bridge (info from this site)

So South Bridge=ICHX where X could be any number up to 10.

5)well then let me rephrase that : "any graphic designers here that would like to share their view about a good lcd monitor well for a laptop that is!
Though I do some graphics every now and then, it is not a professional work. Also I don't have a notebook yet. So can't say much on that matter.

goodmorning!

well at least here in Greece.I have searched but havent found something so obvious as a ICHX so i wanted to put here the specifications in case iam missing something thank you.

Product Namedv7-3175evProduct NumberWK568EAMicroprocessor2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor i5-520MMicroprocessor CacheLevel 2 cache 3 MBMemory4 GB DDR3 (2 x 2048 MB)Memory MaxSupports up to 8 GB DDR3 memoryVideo GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GT 320MVideo Memory up to 2299 MB total graphics memory with 1 GB dedicated DDR3Display43.9 cm (17.3") Diagonal High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display BID (1600 x 900)Hard Drive2 x 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpmMultimedia DriveSATA optical drive: Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double LayerNetwork CardIntegrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LANWireless Connectivity Bluetooth wireless networking

802.11 b/g/nSoundAltec Lansing speakers with integrated subwoofer - SRS Premium SoundKeyboardFull size keyboard with integrated numeric keypadPointing DeviceTouch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down padPC Card Slots1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34), 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro or xD Picture cardsExternal Ports

• 4 USB 2.0 (4th shared with eSATA port)
  • 1 eSATA + USB connector
  • 1 VGA port
  • 1 RJ45 ethernet connector
  • expansion port
  • 2 headphones-out
  • 1 mic-in
  • 1 FireWire IEEE 1394 port
  • consumer IR

Dimensions41.26 cm (L) x 27.7 cm (W) x 3.5 cm (min H) / 4.32 cm (max H)Weight3.52 kgPower

• 120 W AC Power Adapter
  • 8-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

What's In The BoxHP Pavilion Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone; VGA low-light

HP Mobile Remote Control

EDIT: with some seach in eshops i found out its Chipset

is Intel® HM55