Beginner question about kext and plist files

Sonicmixmaster

3 posts in this topic

Hello. I read many threads on here and still am quite confused how to find these files on my mac osx drive. it appears that im somehow blocked from viewing them. I need to edit the plist file to add some code so my xfx hd5770 video card will work at higher resolutions than 1024x768. also im not sure where these kext files should be copied. is there some kind of setting in file manager or finder that is blocking me from doing this? I have a Iatkos osx 10.6.3 installed and i cannot do software update as that will make the osx not boot anymore. Im also using a chamelon bootloader that came with the iatkos dvd. Thanks to anyone who can be patient enough to help me here.

What is the plist you need to edit?

If it is apple.com.Boot.plist then use this application.

If it is some Info.plist inside some kext, when do this:

1. Copy the kext that contains an Info.plist you need to edit to Desktop (use Finder for that purpose)
  2. Right click on the kext you just have copied to Desktop and select "Show Package Contents"
  3. Use PlistEdit Pro to open the Info.plist file. Edit it and save changes (you may be asked to enter your password to save changes).
  4. Use this application to install the kext back.

Note that the default location for all stock (original) kexts is /System/Library/Extensions, but there might also be some kexts located in /Extra folder (it should be there as you use Chameleon). Be careful what and where you are editing/installing.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your info. Im currently busy at work and i dont have much time for my hackintosh project and will try these suggestions next month as i will be on vacation. Ill be sure to post my results here after. Thank you again!

What is the plist you need to edit?

If it is apple.com.Boot.plist then use this application.

If it is some Info.plist inside some kext, when do this:

1. Copy the kext that contains an Info.plist you need to edit to Desktop (use Finder for that purpose)
  2. Right click on the kext you just have copied to Desktop and select "Show Package Contents"
  3. Use PlistEdit Pro to open the Info.plist file. Edit it and save changes (you may be asked to enter your password to save changes).
  4. Use this application to install the kext back.

Note that the default location for all stock (original) kexts is /System/Library/Extensions, but there might also be some kexts located in /Extra folder (it should be there as you use Chameleon). Be careful what and where you are editing/installing.