System randomly shutting down

5 posts in this topic

System has started to randomly shutdown. It happens after 4 hours or 5 minutes. I am not aware of any common thread or reason for it happening.

Running 10.6.4. Haven't added or modified the system in any way form the base Kakewalk install -- so I have to fix my sound and sleep. I was searching for solutions when this new issue just started.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Hardware:

Gigabyte LGA 1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz

Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

GeForce GT 120

Apple 27" monitor

System has started to randomly shutdown. It happens after 4 hours or 5 minutes. I am not aware of any common thread or reason for it happening.

Running 10.6.4. Haven't added or modified the system in any way form the base Kakewalk install -- so I have to fix my sound and sleep. I was searching for solutions when this new issue just started.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Hardware:

Gigabyte LGA 1366 GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz

Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

GeForce GT 120

Apple 27" monitor

Try checking the system logs, you may get a clue

Try checking the system logs, you may get a clue

Thanks for your help:

I ran the system all evening and night with the monitor disconnected -- no problems. I have a hunch its the video card.

The monitor is being driven at 2560-by-1440. The video card (GT 120) supports that but do you think its being pushed to the extreme and causing the shutdown?

Thanks!

Thanks for your help:

I ran the system all evening and night with the monitor disconnected -- no problems. I have a hunch its the video card.

The monitor is being driven at 2560-by-1440. The video card (GT 120) supports that but do you think its being pushed to the extreme and causing the shutdown?

Thanks!

Why don't you try at a lower refresh rate and/or resolution?