Problems with installation of OS X on DELL Studio 1458 (Core i7 1.73 Ghz)

akii_d24

11 posts in this topic

Hi, i am pretty much a newbie at this OS X86 thing.

I have a relatively new laptop and i wanted to install Mac os x on it.

my configuration is :

DELL Studio 1458

Intel Core i7 740 QM 1.73Ghz turbo upto 2.93Ghz

4GB Dual channel 1333Mhz SD RAM

1 GB ATI RADEON HD 5450

Realtek HD Audio

So the problem is that i have tried to install with the iPC 10.5.7 PPF 5 (final) and the iATKOS S3 v2 distro but either hasnt worked out for me.I booted from the DVD and it loaded some of th mach_kernel stuff and after that the apple splash screen flashed for a second and after that my computer reboots automatically. This is repeated every time i boot from the DVD. I have also tried with the "-v cpus=1" and with "-v -x" but it hasnt helped me either. please tell me wat should i do.?? I really want to install mac on my pc. Do help me. If you need more information about my system feel free to ask. please please guide me!! and also suggest me wat customize options should i choose (if luckily i reach that screen).

Have a look on your fav torrent site for iAtkos v7, i had issues with iPC and iAtkos v3. then i tried v7 and it went alot smoother, as for customizing its a lot of trial and error, have ur spec written down or somewhere to hand when customizing, it will be hit or miss, if u get problems google is your friend or search these forums. i have prob installed and re-installed 10 times and i now have another issue to overcome!

or u could be unlucky and ur motherboard might be un-compatable.

p.s.

if ur on twitter.. follow this guy : leonbollerup

he specializes in getting OSX to run on Dell. maybe he can help.

okay so i have managed to install Mac on my pc using iATKOS s3 v2. :D

i used the flag -v busratio=13 to get rid of the restart problem. This flag is for an i7 740 QM.

the installation worked fine and was successful. But now i have a problem. When i restarted after successful installation and booted into mac i was asked to connect my keyboard. I connected a usb keyboard but still it was the same.

Probably there is a problem in my USB ports and i think they arent working or getting sufficient power in mac. I tried connecting my USB optical mouse too but it too didnt work. Also its not recognizing my touchpad which it did during the installation. So plz help... I am so close yet so far.. :P

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have the same device - dell studio 1458 with an intel core i7 (720 QM actually). Installation works fine with iatkos v7 using busratio=12. There's an extensive list of working busratios for core i5 and i7 processors in [1].

Originally, upon reboot I had major issues and could only get into the system via the DVD using "mach_kernel rd=disk0s2 -cpus=8 busratio=12". I read the 'readme' a bit further and found out that the proper kernel to use from the iATKOSv7 DVD was actually mach_970 for core i5 and core i7 processors. After copying mach_970 to my osx86 partition as /mach_kernel, it all went fairly smoothly, until I tried to boot from GRUB2. After a bit more googling, I'm now able to boot into OS X from GRUB using the method suggested in [2].

I still don't have sound working :P Any leads for the Realtek HDA (ACL 655) ?

The drivers for the intel centrino advanced-n 6250 are non-existent for OS X.

Multimedia keys only partially work.

The cardreader and USB might be functional by using the optional kexts from the iATKOSv7 DVD, but I haven't tried yet.

The broadcom gigabit ethernet (BCM57780) is working thanks to [3].

Also, I haven't gotten the ATI Radeon 5470 graphics to work with full hardware acceleration, but I'm still hopeful. They recently published their specs and some open-source drivers if I'm not mistaken, so that should make things slightly easier, although I'm pretty sure that the ATI chips should have stock Apple drivers in SL for the iMac.

It would be nice to have gestures fully supported for the capacitive synaptics touchpad as well (Voodoo?).

This is actually a great machine to use for osx86 since it's fairly compatible with a lot of stock Apple hardware specs (e.g. iMac) and the quad-core processor puts Apple's own laptop offerings to shame.

If anyone else in this thread has some spare time and more success, it would be great to see a sticky list of working kexts.

[1] http://3rr0rists.net/macintosh/busratio-fo...processors.html

[2] http://maketecheasier.com/create-a-mac-ent...rub2/2010/02/12

[3] http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac

I have SL 10.6.5 running on my studio 1458. It was definitely an educational experience.

Here's a really brief set of instructions

use iatkos v7 to install a basic 10.5.8 installation (remember to use -cpus=8 busratio=12)

create an SD card installer from the SL 432

using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method, boot from the sd card, while its in a usb adapter / slot

the external usb ports do not work due to platform specific drivers, but the card-reader does!

once the led goes out on the usb adapter, insert the sd card into the card reader, and the SL installation will start up perfectly.

My /Extra directory looks like so:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext LegacyAppleRTC.kext

ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

EvOreboot.kext SMCITEController.kext

FakeSMC.kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext VoodooHDA.kext

Upgrading to 10.6.4 works without a hitch, 10.6.5 kills the bootup (likely due to something apple did with the AirPort kext - everything loads perfectly, but it seems to hang while looking for the AirPort card). My solution was slightly brute-force, but I just created a rather large tar.bz2 of /S/L/E /E and /mach_kernel from 10.6.4 and then extracted it over the 10.6.5 install from iAtkosv7. Bootup was fine after that. You can even use software update for the 10.6.5 upgrade and there won't be any issues.

Sound is working through the headphones with VoodooHDA.kext, power for the internal speakers is probably another smbios issue.

Big update: Previously many people encountered problems patching and building the dsdt from dell laptops. I found another thread on this site that had the following fix:

// If (CondRefOf (FPED))

// {

// FPED ()

// }

it compiles with 0 warnings and 0 errors.

Now you can fix the RTC and whatever else, and fully customize your DSDT. I wonder if this will, in any way, improve support for anything... lets find out ;-)

hi i have the same laptop with a i7 q740 and 6gb of ddr mem i isntalled mac os x from iatkos v7 and the new retial dvd but my touch mouse dosent work how can i fix please help

thanks much

You need VoodooPS2Controller.kext, just look around for it, it's freely available.

how would i instal the kext witrh out my mouse?

Hi, I have the same device - dell studio 1458 with an intel core i7 (720 QM actually). Installation works fine with iatkos v7 using busratio=12. There's an extensive list of working busratios for core i5 and i7 processors in [1].

Originally, upon reboot I had major issues and could only get into the system via the DVD using "mach_kernel rd=disk0s2 -cpus=8 busratio=12". I read the 'readme' a bit further and found out that the proper kernel to use from the iATKOSv7 DVD was actually mach_970 for core i5 and core i7 processors. After copying mach_970 to my osx86 partition as /mach_kernel, it all went fairly smoothly, until I tried to boot from GRUB2. After a bit more googling, I'm now able to boot into OS X from GRUB using the method suggested in [2].

I still don't have sound working :) Any leads for the Realtek HDA (ACL 655) ?

The drivers for the intel centrino advanced-n 6250 are non-existent for OS X.

Multimedia keys only partially work.

The cardreader and USB might be functional by using the optional kexts from the iATKOSv7 DVD, but I haven't tried yet.

The broadcom gigabit ethernet (BCM57780) is working thanks to [3].

Also, I haven't gotten the ATI Radeon 5470 graphics to work with full hardware acceleration, but I'm still hopeful. They recently published their specs and some open-source drivers if I'm not mistaken, so that should make things slightly easier, although I'm pretty sure that the ATI chips should have stock Apple drivers in SL for the iMac.

It would be nice to have gestures fully supported for the capacitive synaptics touchpad as well (Voodoo?).

This is actually a great machine to use for osx86 since it's fairly compatible with a lot of stock Apple hardware specs (e.g. iMac) and the quad-core processor puts Apple's own laptop offerings to shame.

If anyone else in this thread has some spare time and more success, it would be great to see a sticky list of working kexts.

[1] http://3rr0rists.net/macintosh/busratio-fo...processors.html

[2] http://maketecheasier.com/create-a-mac-ent...rub2/2010/02/12

[3] http://www.gizmolabs.org/~ecronin/w/Main/OSXSetMac

what do you use for a mouse?

• 4 weeks later...
how would i instal the kext witrhout my mouse?

All you need to do is boot from your installation medium, and then copy the kext into /S/L/E or /E/E. You can copy the files using the terminal application with the install DVD.

Upon your next boot, make sure to instruct the bootloader to rescan all kexts, with the -f option, or possible both -f and -x.

C