SSD TRIM and OSx86 (OCZ vertex 120GB) ¿Use Windows 7 to trim osx86 ssd disk ?

mulder1013

2 posts in this topic

Well , i have one Ocz Vertex 120 GB disk , where i have installet with success Mac OS X 10.6.3 , using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] , and then updated using 10.6.4 combo , without any problem.

But i discovered that os x doesn't support trim , so i dont really what to do.

I want to use os x mostly for Photoshop CS5 , and photography , and perhaps a bit of 3d design.

I Have another two HDDs,one for data and one for Windows 7 / linux.

It could be posible to use Windows 7 to trim the ssd (with the OS x installed) , or it is a requirement to have windows 7 in the ssd to trim it.

In the case of reserve 12-15 GB of the ssd , and install windows 7 there , for be able to use Trim or wiper.sh, when calling the trim command , it will only trim the windows partition , or will trim all the SSD , included the OS x pratition ?

Could trim affect in a bad way to the OS X filesystem, in the case that using windows 7 in the ssd for trimming could work ?

could trim erase data from os x partition that is need , and is not trash , and get the OS X system corrupted ?

Perhaps could be a good alternative to each 6 months clone the OSX partition to a hdd ,with carbon copy cloner , erase the vertex with sanitary erase (in a pc is possible to do it , yeah :D ) , and restore the image to the vertex)

I dont know how to clone it , or restore , perhaps is need a outside os x installation in other HDD , and boot from them , or boot from dvd retail with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] , and use disk utilities ,but perhaps that is a good way to restore ssd performance.

What do you think ? It is worth to use a ssd for graphic design / photography in os x , when there is no trim ?

I dont know if the sanitary erase restores performance , and it is maintained 6 months in similar paramethers , so perhaps , the sanitary erase will not be a good alternative for os x neither ...

Perhaps the easiest solution , if performance drops too much , even doing sanitary erases each 6 months, would be to use a hdd for os x and leave SSD for windows 7.

• 1 year later...

I just cloned mine and then installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (chimera) with ######. Booted perfect but the drive doesn't show up as a SSD. I can enable trim with trim enabler but it says theres no ssd detected. Anyone else having this issue? How do I make the computer recognize that its an ssd and not a hdd and to let me use trim on it?