Toshiba Qosmio X505-887 install

veddycro

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Seems that I found a way to install this with almost all the bells and whistles. Only thing that's not working is FireWire (infamous O2 chipset), but I don't really need or care that today. Tomorrow I'll dig into installing 10.5.x FireWire drivers which worked for me before.

The problem was installation is the FireWire O2 chipset which means that you gotta get rid of the *IOFW* drivers from the installation media. So let's go step by step.

1. Get a original 10.6.3 SL DVD

2. Make read/write DMG image of it

3. Delete the drivers by bringing up Terminal window, su-ing to root, going to the directory and then deleting them, and make a USB bootable drive from it.

4. Take the EmpireEFI 1.085R2 Core i3/5/7 boot CD and boot from it

5. Install everything, as SL install will work now (no more Firewire OHCI unable to get device memory messages)

6. After the install, before you reboot your laptop, start terminal from the menu, go to /Volume/Where_Your_OS_Is_Installed/System/Library/Extensions and move IOFireWire* files to some other directory (/Users, for example)

7. Reboot, boot from Empire boot CD. Don't install 10.6.4 update or MBP1.3 update as you don't really need it. Get the latest myhack booter (make sure that you customize your selection and check the ApplePS2 driver otherwise you won't have keyboard or mouse), install and reboot - this will get the GraphicsEnabler working.

8. Install the latest VoodooHDA package (VoodooHDA-0.2.62), reboot - sound is working now with the built-in Connexant chip, speakers working

GPU accel working, CUDA drivers working, ... the works. Wireless not working, ethernet working with L1 driver from here. Bluetooth worked with MBP1.3 update which ultimately crashed my system so I'm trying to find a workaround.

Hey everyone,

Seems that I found a way to install this with almost all the bells and whistles. Only thing that's not working is FireWire (infamous O2 chipset), but I don't really need or care that today. Tomorrow I'll dig into installing 10.5.x FireWire drivers which worked for me before.

The problem was installation is the FireWire O2 chipset which means that you gotta get rid of the *IOFW* drivers from the installation media. So let's go step by step.

1. Get a original 10.6.3 SL DVD

2. Make read/write DMG image of it

3. Delete the drivers by bringing up Terminal window, su-ing to root, going to the directory and then deleting them, and make a USB bootable drive from it.

4. Take the EmpireEFI 1.085R2 Core i3/5/7 boot CD and boot from it

5. Install everything, as SL install will work now (no more Firewire OHCI unable to get device memory messages)

6. After the install, before you reboot your laptop, start terminal from the menu, go to /Volume/Where_Your_OS_Is_Installed/System/Library/Extensions and move IOFireWire* files to some other directory (/Users, for example)

7. Reboot, boot from Empire boot CD. Don't install 10.6.4 update or MBP1.3 update as you don't really need it. Get the latest myhack booter (make sure that you customize your selection and check the ApplePS2 driver otherwise you won't have keyboard or mouse), install and reboot - this will get the GraphicsEnabler working.

8. Install the latest VoodooHDA package (VoodooHDA-0.2.62), reboot - sound is working now with the built-in Connexant chip, speakers working

GPU accel working, CUDA drivers working, ... the works. Wireless not working, ethernet working with L1 driver from here. Bluetooth worked with MBP1.3 update which ultimately crashed my system so I'm trying to find a workaround.

Hey, thank you very much. This qosmio model seems to be very hard to hack. The Empire EFI really make me go furter in the installation, but I'm still stucked in the firewire problem. As I dont have much knowledge using mac, could you give more detailed steps how to get rid of the firewire drivers (your steps 2 and 3)? Do you know if there are some kernel options before the installation that makes it ignore the firewire?

My best.

Ze

• 1 month later...

Hi all, i have a qosmio x505-q870 and am experiencing a similar problem

Ze Chu, I have the Snow Leopard Retail DVD, I am using an app called Transmac to navigate through the file system. The IOFireWire Drivers are located HFS+ Volume\system\Library\Extensions.

However I could not figure out how to edit the ripped dmg image in Windows 7 i.e. actually remove the FireWire driver folders, I have tried PowerIso and MagicIso etc . Even if i could i would need a Dual Layer dvd to burn to.

Veddycro are you editing the dmg in OSX? How are you doing so, and how are you creating the bootable USB drive? Can this be done in Windows?

Also im not sure if nawcom ModCD v0.3 (the newest version of EmpireEFI) eliminates the need to do all of the above, please excuse my n00bishness

Hi all, i have a qosmio x505-q870 and am experiencing a similar problem

Ze Chu, I have the Snow Leopard Retail DVD, I am using an app called Transmac to navigate through the file system. The IOFireWire Drivers are located HFS+ Volume\system\Library\Extensions.

However I could not figure out how to edit the ripped dmg image in Windows 7 i.e. actually remove the FireWire driver folders, I have tried PowerIso and MagicIso etc . Even if i could i would need a Dual Layer dvd to burn to.

Veddycro are you editing the dmg in OSX? How are you doing so, and how are you creating the bootable USB drive? Can this be done in Windows?

Also im not sure if nawcom ModCD v0.3 (the newest version of EmpireEFI) eliminates the need to do all of the above, please excuse my n00bishness

I made it using empire EFI only to boot, the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] did better job in post installation for me.

I made it using empire EFI only to boot, the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] did better job in post installation for me.

Hey Ze Cahue, does this mean you got it working? Can you please outline the process, i would appreciate that very much.

Btw did you install OSX on a second internal drive?