Boot hangs at spinning thing and "No entry" sign

rytrilius

3 posts in this topic

in an attempt to speed up my xbench scores, i tried to do the boost for harddisk access. apparently my chipset is not Intel (sis645dx) but CPU-z said it was... strange. in any case, my scores remained at 2MB/s after i installed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext so i tot installing IOATA would help. Nope it didn't. My machine hangs on the grey bootup screen with a "No entry" sign on the apple, while the spinning thing keeps spinning. i wanna use macdrive to delete the kext but alas, the expiry date was over. transmac din turn up any mac drive on my machine. so here's my desperate pleas:

- wat other programs can i get to read the mac partition on my machine?

- wat other ways are there to do a speed boost for a chipset such as mine? i read with pure envy as other forum members achieve seemingly impossible speeds...

- a little off topic, i accidentally tapped a few keys while doing something in x86, and i noticed a volume control screen turned up. is it possible for a desktop to have Fn key capabilities?

fyi x86 was installed natively, with dual booting working flawlessly, my sound is awesome, my network card also worked nicely with my college network. i followed the pure and simple way of installing x86 on a partition on the wiki. maxxus patch was applied to get itunes working.

i hope i cld just delete the kext from windoze, and not reinstall x86, man that wld kill me...

Same issue here. I have a sis chipset, copied the file accross, and bamm, stopped booting. I ended up just reinstalling OS X86 - faster than find a way to delete it (I am too lazy to put the drive in one of my Macs). Guess the file only works with Intel chipsets.

If you don't want to reinstall, and don't have another mac handy, I am not sure what you can do. None of the mac disk reading programs I tried could see the drive, so you might be out of luck.

So anyone know of a way to get DMA Hard drive access working on a sis chipset?

• 9 months later...

Well, for what it's worth, you can fix the bootup problem by booting from the CD and selecting Terminal from one of the top menus. That'll give you command line access to your hard drive (located in /Volumes/[Your Disk Name Here]) and you can delete/modify/move whatever you want.

As far as the SiS chipset, though, I'm sunk as well :( Nothing I try to enable DMA is working. Haven't even attempted sound or video or any of that yet, because without DMA . . this thing's junked!