dual nvidia videocard PCI/PCI-E

peanutman314

1 post in this topic

So, because I can't post in the nVidia subforum because I'm new, I'll give it a shot here.

It would be nice if a mod could move it there though, because it's a very specific problem.

There are many posts around for dual videocards, but none seem to handle 2 videocards in different slot types (one pci-e, one regular pci).

I've happily been using my hackintosh with a GA-EP45UD3LR, and an EVGA 8800 GT 512mb using Kakewalk. This machine has been working great across multiple OS updates. My 8800GT worked out of the box with Chameleon graphics enabler, so I never really had to mess around with videocards.

Now, I would like to go from dual screens to 4 screens. My motherboard does not have a second PCI-E slot. I do however have an 8400 GS (256mb) via regular PCI. I tried a lot of stuff to make it work, but I'm all out of ideas. I would be forever grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

This is some stuff I have tried:

- the 8400GS in the PCI slot, with no other cards installed, works out of the box in OSX

- When both cards are inserted , everything works as expected in WINDOWS7 out of the box (4 monitors, hardware accelerated)

- When both cards are inserted in OSX with default BIOS setting I got a black screen after the gray loading screen. This was resolved by setting the default graphics slot to PEG (the pci-e slot) in the BIOS. OSX now boots fine, but only the monitors on the 8800 work. System Profiler detects the 8400 but shows 2 empty "Display Connector" places.

- When disabling the Chameleon graphics enabler, and using NVEnabler.kext with an EFI string, I am able to inject card info (Profiler shows injected strings and such). This is the string I'm using (afterwards encrypted to hex of course):

http://pastebin.com/zjCf18Ne

The 8800 works fine, the monitors on the 8400 don't. The 8400 is still detected in Profiler, but shows 0MB VRAM even though I specified 256mb in the string. The device paths were gathered with gfxutil. It also thinks the 8400 is connected via PCI-E instead of PCI.

Is there anyone that can help me with this? For instance, I'm not sure if the EFI string is 100% correct. Like what is the connector-type value for, and what are the possible values? same for display-connect-flags and device-type. Could this be a way to specify PCI/PCI-E ?

The fact that it works great in Windows, that that both cards propably use the same driver, and that the 8400 works fine by itself makes me believe that it's possible. Please advise. I might consider a reward for someone that can walk me through this.

Reinout