Custom Building an Audio Rig

epinema

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Next year I'm going to study Audio Engineering and all their work is done on Mac's, for ProTools this isn't an issue as it's on both platforms but as for Logic I'm a bit buggered as I can't afford a Mac good enough to handle heavy, multitracked audio duties.

With the modifications below and Tony's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install method would this configuration probably work to run Snow Leopard? Could anyone suggest the most compatible, ubiquitous dual display graphics adapter? (Doesn't need to be anything remotely fancy, just something that will cope with Logic and ProTools LE.

Current Specs

Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H mobo

Pentium Dual Core E5200

Kingston HyperX DDR2 800MHz/CL4 2x2GB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, 32MB Cache

NVidia Quadro NVS290 256MB

Modifications To Be Made

Replace processor with Core2Duo Q9400

Add Western Digital Caviar Black HDD for MacOSX

Replace graphics card with something more compatible (Input welcome here)

The other thing is What is the compatibility like with hardware that has actual Mac software, drivers and support? Ie, audio interfaces, MIDI controllers and synths, I only ask as I use alot of hardware and it could be worth knowing.

Thank you soo much, there's so much information out there that it's hard to consolidate into a digestable answer.

Epi

Modifications To Be Made

Replace processor with Core2Duo - core i7 920

Add Western Digital Caviar Black HDD for MacOSX

Replace graphics card with something more compatible (nvidia gtx 260)

The other thing is What is the compatibility like with hardware that has actual Mac software, drivers and support? Ie, audio interfaces, MIDI controllers and synths, I only ask as I use alot of hardware and it could be worth knowing. (go to apple website/mac/specification )

Thank you soo much, there's so much information out there that it's hard to consolidate into a digestable answer. ( every pc is unique try consolidating info according to your needs , will become easy after some time )

here is my old topic about a DAW that I built a few times - it is outdated, but maybe you will find still some useful informations http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=132695&hl=

hardware that works / own experiences:

1.Apogee Duet - works perfect - best choice if you need only 2 IO´s

2.Focusrite Saffire 26 IO - drivers work perfect (this one I´m using in daily work)

3.Focusrite Saffire 10 IO - drivers work perfect

4.Focusrite Saffire (the small one) - drivers work perfect

what I didn´t test, but seems to work: RME Fireface, Motu (if you like the sound of the Motu´s)

I have also 3 UAD-1 cards working flawless in my rig

hope that helps :D

Cheers Peach OS, taking alot from your guide :-)

Probably should have said this before but money is thin, hence wanting to keep most of my current system -_- As nice as an i7 920 would be it'd mean also upgrading the mobo and RAM, puts it out of my league, even the GTX260 is too expensive for me. Any other good recommendations for graphics cards?

if you going to buy a new mainboard I would think about one that is working with a bios of cartri´s project

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=210994 - no more patching :)

you don´t actually need a powerful gfx card for a daw - compability is more important. if QE/CI is not supported, you can´t install Logic (if you are using it).

my low budget choice would be a 9500GT, if you spend more - one of the now supported ati cards.

for firewire TI chips should be the best choice