Quiet/fanless vanilla video card with Dual-DVI & HDMI

SunsetComposer

3 posts in this topic

Hey folks - I'm looking for a solution that might be a bit out of the norm. I have an OSX86 PC running Snow Leopard (10.6.4 x64) and I'm please as punch - except for the video card situation. I'm a pro audio user that's looking to run dual DVI on one port (to a Gateway XHD3000 @ 2560X1600) and simultaneously run an HDMI port (1080p) to another screen.

I'm *not* interested in gaming. I'm setting this up for sync to video - where my host application is both running the audio application on my main screen while throwing HD video to the HDMI video port. I *am* interested in OpenGL hardware acceleration for video decoding but I could care less about 3D for gaming and whatnot.

One of the more important features is a fanless/low profile design. This is important for fitting the card inside of a tight chassis as well as keeping things relatively quiet.

I'm running a GT250 card right now - and not only does it fail when I try to connect an HDMI cable to it, the fan sounds like an aircraft hanger. I need a card that will look "vanilla" to the system and just work - and also be quiet.

Can anyone help/make a suggestion? Thanks.

I encountered one of these the other day...

http://www.diamondmm.com/BVU195.php

while looking for a way to make a hackbook drive two external monitors. I'm not sure if it's any good for your needs but might be worth checking out? It would also get around the need for a low profile card too and it has mac drivers written for it....

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

• 1 month later...