Shut down & sleep issues with OSX 10.6.4 on Dell Inspiron 1520

gurde

96 posts in this topic

I managed to compile the to dsdt.aml.

Now I have sleep, but not when on lid close, I didn't really understand where to put that code for the lid.

However, I still don't have shutdown working. Now my video card is seen as having 64MB of memory instead of 128. This can be fixed with injectors? I downloaded NVEnabler64.kext, but don't know what to do with it. Do I need to change something for it to work?

Edit:

I installed the above kext, and now my video ram size is 128 again. Shutdown still doesn't work.

"This patch lets your computer sleep when you close the lid (thanks Brett Whinnen). Under _SB add the following:" what does this mean, since I found many _SB things in there.

Could you please point me to that topic? Cause I can't find it.

How about the _SB thing? Have any idea?

Edit: I found out bout the _SB on google. Now sleep work when closing the lid.

Shutdown and I have a perfect Snow Leopard. And as soon as I manage to make it work I'll probably write a tutorial.

Until then... how to make it shut down?

@gurde, I will try to help you. Please sorry my english.

Attached your compilable dsdt.dsl (for edition purposes) with shutdown fix applied. For understanding what I did, search the word "juanerson" without quotes, its just for reference (and comparison) because its not my fix as you can see on the link above. Then, for restart you can use OSXRestart.kext (attached) from /Extra/Extensions... so you need to delete Openhaltrestart or Evoreboot (if exist on /E/E or /S/L/E) before use the Master Chief .kext.

Note: Other way for restart is Chameleon 2RC5 (link on my signature), because have restartfix by default.

Optionally, maybe this is interesting for you, if you have problems with HPET and/or RTC devices during boot, and for Native power management (speedstep). For sure, I recommend to you take a look to the list of basic corrections I made to my last DSDT. But I think your better reference will be the DSDT by Slice (attached), except he have intel GMA X3100 graphic (device GFX0 in dsdt), please to consider it.

Also, its very important to rebuilt the cache (Extensions.mkext) on /Extra every time you touch that folder, this is a "mini how to" for do it with kextutility 2.4.2 by cVaD (attached). Good Luck.

Your DSDT edited, compare with your original, you can use DiffMerge

unfortunately I have no way to test

dsdt.aml_GURDE____.zip

DTGP

IRQs

LPC

SBUS

USB Sleep

NVidia Injection 8400M

IDE

Clamshell

SHUTDOWN

Run on terminal

grep Wake /var/log/kernel.log

see the Wake Reason

Remove _PRW

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0D,
				0x03
			})

see if the kext AppleLPC is loaded

kextstat | grep LPC

see if the SBUS fix worked

kextstat|grep SMBus

native power managment

add in you SMBIOS.plist(should work well)

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>

can use the Chameleon RC5 if you prefer

add in your boot.plist

<key>[color="#000080"]DropSSDT[/color]</key>
<string>[color="#000080"]Yes[/color]</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

before

Read it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1514836

I also managed to fix SMBus, I think.

67 0 0xffffff7f8101b000 0x2000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusPCI (1.0.8d0) <9 5 4 3>

86 1 0xffffff7f813b6000 0x2000 0x2000 com.apple.iokit.IOSMBusFamily (1.1) <5 4 3>

87 0 0xffffff7f813b8000 0xb000 0xb000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMBusController (1.0.8d0) <86 9 8 5 4 3>

And I also see

66 0 0xffffff7f81018000 0x3000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.12) <9 5 4 3>

but then in kernel.log I get this error

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Any idea why or how to fix it?

Still no luck with shutdown.

I'm asking again, how do I patch the LPC Device? I checked the previous links, I didn't see anything related.

A reference link would be great.

I appreciate it.

Edit: I attached my dsdt.dsl with my current progress. If somebody is interested.

you applied the LPC patch or not?

use SystemInfo

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219584

see if the id is compatible

run on terminal less /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Look it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551313

What to look for? I didn't understand.

I downloaded that app, run it. Then what?

By reading on the links you posted, I see something about Device (SBRG), I don't have anything like that in my dsdt.

What do I have to do?

Could you please be more specific?

Edit:

8086 Intel Corporation 2815 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller Bridge ISA bridge

Vendor id: 8086 and Devide id: 2815

That device loads the AppleLPC.kext

In the Info.plist I get <string>pci8086,2815</string>, does this mean is supported?

Well, yes. As I previously posted, I did that already.

kextstat | grep LPC

62 0 0xffffff7f80926000 0x3000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.4.12) <9 5 4 3>

So, do I have to patch anything?

Why do I still have this?

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Could you please be more specific?

more specific than this topic?

In the Info.plist I get pci8086,2815, does this mean is supported?

Yep

I want to know is if you applied the fixLpc?

I have seen cases of id compatible and when applied the patch (not necessary in this case)

this problem happened

*search by address, the names vary

0x001F0000

As MaLd0n said above, may be even though your LPC device id matches you still need to patch your LPC device. Look at the example.

I assume that you change your mac model to what MaLd0n told you.

Here is the code from my DSDT.

Device (LPC) // Names vary.
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000) // Search for this.
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) // Start from here
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x16, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			} // Stop here. Rest is removed.

You only need to change 0x16, 0x29, 0x00, 0x00 to 0x15, 0x28, 0x00, 0x00.