First Timer - HP DV6663CA - Where to start?

Merrittkr

1 post in this topic

Hello! First time trying to install OS X, total newbie.

Having a bit of information overload. I can't seem to find any definitive answers, google is confusing, and the wiki here says it is out of date.. *dazed eyes*

I have a HP DV6663CA notebook, I am hoping I can get OS X running on it. Can anyone please tell me, what distro I should try installing, newer or older, these boot helpers I've seen..? As I said, very confused from info overload!

Specs are here: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF...3-81189271.html

I think the relevant ones are:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7500

Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

lspci tells me the ethernet is Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E (rev1)

I build and repair computers for a living, but I've only worked with DOS/Windows computers, and with Linux. I'd like to get familiar with Macs, I think the best first step is to learn how the OS works! ;) As such I will be okay if not everything works 100%, eg I can live with only ethernet if wifi doesn't work, or if sound doesn't work.

Any suggestions, pointers or tips to get me started would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!