Welcome to InsanelyMac.com - No more ads! And some exciting news... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conroe Mac

Install hangs on GA-965P-DS3

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone been successful on an install with this board?

I'm trying to install to an IDE drive. I get the dreaded "Waiting for root device" error. My HD is at IDE 0. I've tried a variety of startup options:

platform=X86PC -v

-x -v

rd=diskOs0 -v

-f -v

Here are the specs on the board:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...ame=GA-965P-DS3

It's a southbridge which I know people have had trouble with.

Anyone have any luck with this board or have a suggestion?

I haven't made it to the install point! I'm still trying to load the myzar 10.4.6 DVD.

Well you can check your drives - make sure they are set (by jumper) to master and slave and not to cable select. Try the hard drive at master and the DVD at slave. And if that doesn't work, reverse them.

I tried that and unfortunately I didn't have any luck.

I tried putting the HD at Master/Slave/Master with Slave/Cable select.

It does use ICH8. Does that mean there's no way to make an OS X install? (PATA or SATA?)

Would it be possible to use a separate SATA card that is supported?

Hey man. I want to buy this board too.. this is a great board.. any way..

I think you better install the OSX in the SATA Harddisk, because in this board the IDE is not from the ICH8, that is from other... and second i am interest what kind of cd-rom are you using? because if use the onboard IDE I think it doesn't work too... anyway wait for your testing la..

:(

It does use ICH8. Does that mean there's no way to make an OS X install? (PATA or SATA?)

Would it be possible to use a separate SATA card that is supported?

We haven't found an external SATA card that will work.

Right. The IDE is tacked on because SATA opticals aren't really prevalent yet. I can boot from IDE. I'm using a DVD Writer Model SH-S162. I got it for about $30 and it does dual layer and lightscribe.

I guess it looks like my hardware is too new. Maybe I'll get lucky and the new mac towers will use ICH8.

I have heard that people have been modifying for ICH7. I wonder what's to prevent someone from doing the same thing for ICH8. I'm going to take a look in that direction.

So I have a new theory-

The southbridge on the GA-965P-DS3 is just SATA. I wonder if using a SATA optical drive would make a difference. Or perhaps converting my PATA optical connection to SATA.

More research!

I have the same mobo and my dvd-rw is not Sata, The error i get is System config "./com.apple.Boot.plist" cannot be found, or something similar

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0