question on updating programs

scottysmo88

4 posts in this topic

First off, I have yet to attempt to install OSX86. I want to get everything clarified first.

As for my system, it is a completely new Asus S96J. The setup is essentially the same as a Macbook Pro, even down to the little webcam on top.

I read this page on dual booting and everything seemed to be in order. However, at the end it mentions to never update any programs as the updates are only designed for PowerPC (link). Is this still the case, or is that question dated? If it is, then what would be the point of owning a Macintel if you can't update anything?

If not, then could I download apple updates and install new apple programs like Final Cut?

Ignore that update statement with a caveat. Never update OSX from the Software Update. Just like you have to install a patched OSX on your machine, any OSX updates also have to be patched.

Other software (like iTunes, Quicktime, Java, etc), it is generally OK to go ahead and update.

A small note to make it all make sense. Most of the packages that are included in software update are universal binaries at this point. So they shouldnt cause you any trouble. Except of course, the system updates.