OSX HomeServer

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a OSX User (like, Macbook :)) and am now focused in trying to get my homeserver to work with OSX Server. I don't mind replacing some (or most... or all, heh) of its hardware with OSX-friendly one. I'd appreciate someone gave me some advice on that.

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual E2200 @ 2.20 GHz

RAM: 3GB DDR2

Hard Drives: 1x 500GB, 2x 320GB SATA.

Graphics Card: Integrated. I heard I may need to have a dedicated graphics card to install OSX, but as I'm not 100% sure about that and don't remember where I read that, I'd like to hear someone else's opinion if it's needed.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo.

You won't really know until you try installing OS X on it; research your board (and similar boards, chipsets, etc..) with respect to installing OS X on it and see what luck others have had. That will give you the best information. If you can get it to work I'm sure you will love it; I have done the same and can say I am very pleased with my server; it was worth the money to purchase.

The P5KPL-AM (mobo is most important part for a Hackintosh) shows up many times in successful hacks on the OSx86 Hardware Compatibly List, from 10.5.2 up to 10.6.0. (The HCL is almost useless for newer hardware, but still a great resource for older hardware)

So I'd say you have a pretty good chance of hacking it to run OSX server- just find a decent guide, and look up as much info as possible for how to install from the instances of the same board on the HCL.