Installing iPortable Snow Leopard on Gateway MT6821

busterfelix

8 posts in this topic

I have a Gateway MT6821 running iPortable Snow Leopard 10.6.2. After a great many trial and errors I have found working graphics, sound/audio and wifi drivers(wifi with exceptions). A lot of the post I found on my own never worked or even "hosed" my install. If you have the following hardware on an MT6821, the drivers will work. If you have the same hardware but not the MT6821 I still believe the drivers will work:

GMA945 - video works with many resolutions. just install the "pkg". Looks great!

Intel 3945 -wifi works with open wireless G networks only and I have found the computer usually needs to be close to the router to connect but you can move away once connected. Also the connection will drop fairly often. All that being said, it is considered the best driver because it is the only one I have found to work at all.

SigmaTel 9250 - just install the kext with "kext helper b7"

Actually I traded my internal wifi with my wife's laptop because she has a generic broadcom wireless adapter in her HP dv6226us which works with b and g networks and WEP. I simply traded cards and both computers still work great with Windows. Good luck. When I figure out the built in ethernet I will post that driver as well. Cheers!

GMA950.pkg.zip

VoodooIntel3945_05.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Update!!!

Here is the Battery/Energy Saver features. Again...Just install all three kexts using kexthelper b7 and Voila!

http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

I have been running this laptop since Leopard. It has been working great. Running 10.6.4 now. Have you patched a custom DSDT for this laptop. I would like to compare, as I am a noob on the whole DSDT thing. Thanks.

I have been running this laptop since Leopard. It has been working great. Running 10.6.4 now. Have you patched a custom DSDT for this laptop. I would like to compare, as I am a noob on the whole DSDT thing. Thanks.

Actually you sound like you're ahead of me on this thing. The image I used initially was the "iPortable Snow Leopard USB image". Only trial and error have brought me this far by way of loading various kexts 1 at a time. The only DSDT I used was the one provided with said image. I created my posts to help others cuts some corners for others but like I said, you sound like more of a pro than I. Wish I could do more to help but I'm yet to fully understand DSDT under the hood.

Can you restart your laptop or does it just shutdown when you try? Do you have a fix for sleep? How do you update the kernel i.e. 10.6.2 to 10.6.4? Thanks for any help. In the meantime I will work on my end as well but I suspect I have come as far as I can for now.

Update!!!

Here is the Battery/Energy Saver features. Again...Just install all three kexts using kexthelper b7 and Voila!

http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

It seems the battery kexts are no longer directly at the link I provided. Here they are attached. Enjoy!

VoodooBattery.kext.zip

VoodooPowerAcpi.kext.zip

VoodooPowerMini.kext.zip

• 1 year later...

Update for Lion 10.7.1--- Using Aitkos Lion 10.7.1, and have a working MT6821 with Snow on it; simply delete all extensions including the ones in Extra and install. After that you will need to update the boot loaders. Search for them and install in the following order:

1. PCEFI 10.6 Lion+Snow

2. Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r755-Lion

3. Chimera 1.5.4.1

I am not sure if all that is necessary, but it works for me. Sound quality signifigantly louder (Yea!). Wired ethernet does not work still nor does the memory card reader. Everything else does though. You can search for the fix for the wired but it will probably break the wifi. Oh well, one or the other right? Do not update to 10.7.2! It will break. BACKUP FIRST AS USUAL.

bootloaders.zip

• 7 months later...

I have a Gateway MT6821 running iPortable Snow Leopard 10.6.2. After a great many trial and errors I have found working graphics, sound/audio and wifi drivers(wifi with exceptions). A lot of the post I found on my own never worked or even "hosed" my install. If you have the following hardware on an MT6821, the drivers will work. If you have the same hardware but not the MT6821 I still believe the drivers will work:

GMA945 - video works with many resolutions. just install the "pkg". Looks great!

Intel 3945 -wifi works with open wireless G networks only and I have found the computer usually needs to be close to the router to connect but you can move away once connected. Also the connection will drop fairly often. All that being said, it is considered the best driver because it is the only one I have found to work at all.

SigmaTel 9250 - just install the kext with "kext helper b7"

Actually I traded my internal wifi with my wife's laptop because she has a generic broadcom wireless adapter in her HP dv6226us which works with b and g networks and WEP. I simply traded cards and both computers still work great with Windows. Good luck. When I figure out the built in ethernet I will post that driver as well. Cheers!

I have installed iatkos on the same portable, but have video issues. . . where have you found drivers?