Realtek ALC861 Audio on Intel ICH7-M bus

8 posts in this topic

I have spent hours :D (literally!!) searching and reading all the threads I could find, and trying all combinations of patching AppleHDA.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, and NO LOVE! The most I can get it to do on my Toshiba notebook is the HD Audio Device to show up under output, but the volume control is greyed out, and there is no sound.

Has anyone been able to get this combo to work? What system? (I have 10.4.7). If you got it to work, please post up! TIA

I have a simular setup. IHC-7 intel bus/hub and the Realtek 861 card. I edited the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to included my PnP ID, as i'm sure you already did. Make sure you have the Dev and Ven id in the correct order. Look at the existing ones for the correct order, you should be able to see the Vendor id easily.

Editing in my ICH-7 hub/bus ID was the problem for me. I followed this:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...=1474&st=40

but where you have to edit this file:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I put in a bunch of ID's hopeing one would work. You find the section for the ICH-6 bus (yes i know its not ICH-7) and add your pnp ID in there right after IOPCIPrimaryMatch.

Now the bigest question I had when doing this was how to find my bus id. In windows I opened up device manager and wrote down ALL the id's for the ICH-7 bus. Under 'System devices' in device manager, you see a buch of Intel® devices with a 4 digit number after then.. such as 244E or something. Somewhere in the list of Intel devices you'll see one like UAA Audio something. This would be one you are looking for. Get the Dev ID for it (either by reading the 4 digit number next to it, or properties -> Details). Mine was 27DA for the UAA device. I also wrote down the ID for the PCI controller (27B9)..

I used these numbers to enter in for the IOPCIPrimaryMatch in the AppleAzaliaController.kext. ie i added 0x27DA8086 and 0x27b98086 onto the list. Removed my extentions cache files and rebooted.

My audio worked after this. I'm not sure which of the 2 above numbers i actauly needed but i figgured put both in and see if it worked. and it did.

Though the audio is a little choppy if I scroll around on the screen while something is playing.. maybe thats just how the mac is. :-/

Thanks for your help... done all that... still doesn't work.

I'm getting to to the point of scrapping the whole project (I have two other macs at home, this is just a notebook that I play around with...) because too much stuff doesnt work. Its too bad though, because other than the non-functional stuff, it runs great. Fast, with full video acceleration...

• 10 months later...
Thanks for your help... done all that... still doesn't work.

that solution doesn't work with 10.4.8 and higher because of HDA sound. There as to be another way