iATKOS S3 install on NC6400

PrairieCanuck

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on my NC6400 and I chose the iATKOS S3 distro because I found this link:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ortables#NC6400

Here are my experiences to share and also questions for those in the know:

I disabled dual CPUs in the BIOS. This seems to be what got the DVD to boot. When it finally booted, I followed the install guide (see link above) for choosing install options and only installed what it said. I left RTC on even though the guide said not to...I was swayed by the description on the installer saying RTC needed to be there. Anyway, it hung after the boot "waiting for root device". I think I tracked this down as a HD/SATA issue, so the next time I installed, I picked all the same options, minus ANY RTC options, chose all the SATA/IDE options, and installed. When I rebooted, I got to the grey/silver screen and got the "Stayin' Alive" music playing. That sounded promising...After the song finished, the grey screen stayed and nothing changed. I started trying some keys and got the "screen reader" or whatever it is called to start talking to me explaining how the screen reader works in Mac and to use the arrow keys to learn all about it. But, still no display (other than the grey screen). Does this sound like a display driver issue? It does to me since I didn't choose any "VGA" options when I installed. Should I pick one of those? An intel one or ones to match my video card? I wonder why the guide didn't explicitly say other options selected (display, network) during install, unless that install didn't require them? Seems unlikely, though...

Anyway, my next attempt is going to have a few more options selected, one being an intel VGA option, unless someone things I'm going down the wrong path here? Any thoughts/suggestions/comments before I try that?

Thanks...

Hi,

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on my NC6400 and I chose the iATKOS S3 distro because I found this link:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ortables#NC6400

Here are my experiences to share and also questions for those in the know:

I disabled dual CPUs in the BIOS. This seems to be what got the DVD to boot. When it finally booted, I followed the install guide (see link above) for choosing install options and only installed what it said. I left RTC on even though the guide said not to...I was swayed by the description on the installer saying RTC needed to be there. Anyway, it hung after the boot "waiting for root device". I think I tracked this down as a HD/SATA issue, so the next time I installed, I picked all the same options, minus ANY RTC options, chose all the SATA/IDE options, and installed. When I rebooted, I got to the grey/silver screen and got the "Stayin' Alive" music playing. That sounded promising...After the song finished, the grey screen stayed and nothing changed. I started trying some keys and got the "screen reader" or whatever it is called to start talking to me explaining how the screen reader works in Mac and to use the arrow keys to learn all about it. But, still no display (other than the grey screen). Does this sound like a display driver issue? It does to me since I didn't choose any "VGA" options when I installed. Should I pick one of those? An intel one or ones to match my video card? I wonder why the guide didn't explicitly say other options selected (display, network) during install, unless that install didn't require them? Seems unlikely, though...

Anyway, my next attempt is going to have a few more options selected, one being an intel VGA option, unless someone things I'm going down the wrong path here? Any thoughts/suggestions/comments before I try that?

Thanks...

My latest attempted featured the selection of a few more drivers/options which yielded the difference of the Apple symbol in the middle of the grey screen, the grey circular progress indicator, and the mouse pointer as the rainbow spinning pinwheel...instead of the blank grey screen after the first boot after install. I still endured the same song I listened to last time. And still its hung and nothing past the grey screen. So, it seems like my choices were closer? Any thoughts on what options to try for my next install? Retry the RTC patch? Select all options? I've had success doing that kind of thing before on a VirtualBox install with a different distro...maybe it would work here too?

• 8 months later...
My latest attempted featured the selection of a few more drivers/options which yielded the difference of the Apple symbol in the middle of the grey screen, the grey circular progress indicator, and the mouse pointer as the rainbow spinning pinwheel...instead of the blank grey screen after the first boot after install. I still endured the same song I listened to last time. And still its hung and nothing past the grey screen. So, it seems like my choices were closer? Any thoughts on what options to try for my next install? Retry the RTC patch? Select all options? I've had success doing that kind of thing before on a VirtualBox install with a different distro...maybe it would work here too?

it's a graphix problem