GA p55a-ud4p iBoot hangs at 17min left HELP!

Brasky5

5 posts in this topic

I've had a very frustrating day. *sigh*

I had this system up and running OSX for the last couple weeks, but the last few days I've been noticing some hiccups. It got very frustrating to have the mouse stop and start across the screen, music and video pausing and unpausing at the same times, etc. I assumed it was because I had too much software installed and decided to go with a fresh install. The previous install was so painless that I figured it'd be a snap to wipe her and start fresh.

Not so much.

I'm following the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] guide to a T. I've got the BIOS set up exactly how he says, I wipe the drive and partition it just like he says and I purchased my components based on what he suggested. As I said, it worked perfectly the first time.

Anyway, now I'll get to where it's installing Snow Leopard (with all the extras unchecked to save install time, as the guide suggests) and it will start with 19 minutes left, and it'll hang at 18. I'll hear the DVD stop turning and the HD LED stops lighting up. The mouse still moves the arrow on the screen, but nothing else happens. I have to turn the system off with the switch at the back to get it to turn off.

I thought it was a one-time thing, but I've tried it 22 times now and it's the same every time. I've tried safe mode with the same results. I've tried three different DVD units with the same results. Everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse are unplugged.

I'm pulling my hair out here. What's going on?

GA P55A-UD4P

Core i5 750

160gb WD SATA HDD plugged into a blue SATA port (I've tried both the DVD drive and the HDD in the 1st port with the other in the 2nd, and neither worked)

4gb OCZ Gold DDR3 @1333

EVGA GTS8600 in the first PCI-E slot (also tried a GT240 - initially had the 8600 for the first install and later upgraded with no issues, so I went back to the 8600 for this install because it worked last time)

Samsung SH-S223 DVD Writer

Acer 22" monitor

Thermaltake 550w PSU

BIOS set to ACHI, Boot priority CD ROM first, HPET 64, and I erase, then format, then partition GUID every time. I've also tried both [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nVidia and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported. I have tried safe mode, and I've also tried typing "PCIRootUID=1" where you'd normally enter -x, and that didn't work either.

Well, since I guess I'm just talking to myself here, I guess I'll just be documenting my efforts to get this thing up and running. The next things I'm going to try are:

- Rip the SL DVD and make a bootable USB flash drive

- Rip the SL DVD and burn it to a dual-layer disk, in case the tiny scratch on the disk is causing the issue

- If that doesn't work, I'm going to borrow someone else's SL disk and see if that works

- If that doesn't work, I'm going to install my HD on my wife's system and install OSX on that one, then move the HD back to my rig

- If that doesn't work, I'm going to clone my wife's drive and try it on my rig

- If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to have to replace all the parts in my system one by one until I figure out what's causing the issue

- If that doesn't work, then I guess I will raise my middle finger to OSX and go back to Windows and Ubuntu

[strikeThru]- Rip the SL DVD and make a bootable USB flash drive[/strikeThru] I was able to create the Snow Leopard Flash drive, but it doesn't help anything

[strikeThru]- Rip the SL DVD and burn it to a dual-layer disk, in case the tiny scratch on the disk is causing the issue[/strikeThru] Disk just spun and spun. Nothing happened.

- If that doesn't work, I'm going to borrow someone else's SL disk and see if that works

- If that doesn't work, I'm going to install my HD on my wife's system and install OSX on that one, then move the HD back to my rig

- If that doesn't work, I'm going to clone my wife's drive and try it on my rig

- If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to have to replace all the parts in my system one by one until I figure out what's causing the issue

- If that doesn't work, then I guess I will raise my middle finger to OSX and go back to Windows and Ubuntu

I'm seriously open to suggestions here, guys.