OSx86 on an 2214 Opteron

1 post in this topic

Hi all,

I'm looking for any advice as to what is the most reliable osx86 distro for installing on an AMD Opteron system. I am using two dual-core Opteron 2214's at the moment, but I intend to upgrade to two quads.

The motherboard is a Supermicro H8DAi-2. MCP55 chipset. I'd like a Snow Leopard install, but would be just as happy with a 10.5 install as well.

I've tried a few different discs. iDeneb 10.5.8 and iAtkos 10.5.7. These just bluescreen on me and never bring up the loginwindow (regardless of -f -x options) after install.

I tried a Snow Leopard disc "SnowLeoDVD" with a few different provided kernels, but they always panic on boot up.

So far, the most successful install has been from the iDeneb 1.3 disc which installs 10.5.5. Boots up, and runs. I can get all my hardware supported pretty easily. But the issue here is that I get random crashes when accessing the SATA discs heavily. I'm hoping that a newer distro w/ hopefully tuned up nForce drivers would do the trick.

So, for now I've just partitioned my 500G disk into 10 slices. I'm going to install a different distro on each partition and hope to be able to use the semi-working 10.5.5 install to tweak one of the others into working more reliably. Once I get something solid, I'll snatch it up into Time Machine, reformat the drive and spew the working install back onto the disk. Best laid plans, right?

Anyhow.. I sure could use some pointers here. I've never tried OSx86 on AMD before, so I'm not sure of all the issues that may be waiting for me.