snow leopard on a white box?

4 posts in this topic

Hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M720-US3

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 7750 2.70GHz (Black Ed)

RAM: OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 Dual Channel

Bios: Award Bios

Graphics: Geforce 9400 GT

Soundcard: Realtek ALC888

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache

Optical Drive: Sony NEC Optaric (Unsure of model number)

Keyboard & Mouse: USB Logitech G9 & G19(can be switched for standard USB Keyboard and mouse)

I managed to get I Deneb installed a month ago but it wouldnt boot (endless restart loop) so formatted the HDD and wondering if anyone knows a better distro to use or if my HW is doomed to fail..

Also if I've little (or no) chance of getting OSX working on this, could anyone recommend a cheap factory built unit I could use to boot a popular distro of OSX?

Thanks!

EDIT - Apologies for how this looks, I had to post this on my iphone as I'm at work.. so it's a little messy.

From your hardware I'd say it's defiantly a possibility. If i were you, I would try out Empire EFI for AMD, and use the Snow Leopard retail disk. It uses the chocolate kernel to boot to the system, you may have to use the busratio=20 cpus=2 at the boot, but it should work.

1.Insert the Empire EFI Disk

2.Remove it

3.Enter the Mac OS X Disk, wait until the dvd drive has stopped loading, hit F5 Then enter to boot to the Disk.

4. Install Snow Leopard as normal, it will give you and error saying that it couldn't bless the target volume upon completion of the install. (Just ignore it, means nothing)

5. Before the system starts put the empire efi disk back into the system, and now select the drive you just installed snow leopard onto. the system should boot and then you'll be welcomed by the startup screen for setting up your information etc. from here you can go to the EFI disk on the desktop that you just used to boot to the OS, Select the myhack installer, and install it. Use the appropriate extensions and kernel, I personally recommend not using the kernel on myhack and installing the legacy kernel instead by nawcom, you can find it under new releases and updates on this forum.

I hope this helps,

James

James, contrary to your name, you most certainly are on fire :rolleyes:

Just managed to kill my 160GB HDD so I've ordered a new drive to try this out on.. should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck..

I cant thank you enough for your help, really!