bootup problem with 10.4.6 on ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am trying to install MacOS on my Athlon64(venus core). I have the ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard, with an nforce4 chip, a SATA drive containing windows, a PATA HDD as primary master for OSX, and a Pioneer superdrive as the primary slave (both are jumpered, not cable select)

Interestingly enough, I could never get the DVD (JaS) to boot. The thing would either give me a kernel panic, or sit there "still waiting for root device" indefinitely. Thinking this may be a DVD problem, I installed through vmware, selecting the generic intel, AMD, AMD SSE3, etc, patches, and the nforce controller patch. I then made the partition active from knoppix. This got me a working vmware system, with the PATA HDD as the virtual drive.

I was thinking that getting the patched version onto the disk would allow me to then boot natively. However, OSX had other ideas. It merrily loads kext's, detects the nvidia nforce ata, and then just sits there, giving me the infuriating "still waiting for root device" error. rd=disk0s1 doesn't help at all. -x gives me a kernel panic while, of all things, trying to boot from nfs (why it would try to do something so random I have no idea).

I did notice it started up a few other ATA controllers before detecting the nvidia one. One time I did get the IOATA blocking bus error, but that never repeated after. Is it worth disabling those kext's through vmware?

I tried various combinations of disabling my sata controller, my usb controller (legacy, and 2.0), my firewire controller, and a few other random components, but none seemed to work. I even tried unplugging the superdrive, wondering if it might be the culprit. Nothing. I tried various combos of platform=X86PC, -x, -f, and platform=ACPI, but again, nothing helped. Also tried setting up the windows bootloader with chain0 and boot.ini. Didn't help. My BIOS firmware is at 11/18/2004 (1001-016 revision), so updating it might be worth the risk. Do I need a later firmware than that? Anyone get this thing working with this board? Was there anything special you had to do?

Thanks!

--KLZ

I figured it out!

To those with similar hw, go to http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=4651

Get the kext there, install it in the system folder with transmac, and then boot with the -x option. Works like a song. I am having trouble shutting the computer down properly, but that's a different story. Now, on to configure networking!

--KLZ