Screen-resolution?

!MNc99

4 posts in this topic

Ok, so if anyone's seen my oh-so-useful guide posted in t'hackintosh forum, I'm running OSx86 perfectly. There are just a few things annoying me, which are all (barring sound, which I consider to be fairly in-hand) screen-related.

1. Occasional left-over bits of screen

I'm not sure how to describe it, but say when I've just closed a right-click menu by clicking on something else or, better example, scrolling through lists of files on Finder, there are always a few bits of screen that have been 'dragged'-- so, say you can see little boxes with the bottom half of an 's' in succession going down from the source, a file with an S in it down to where I've scrolled to. If nobody gets that, I'll get a screengrab program and post a screenie here. Or is there a key combination? I'm a mac n00b. :P

2. 1280x1024, where art thou?

I know what you want to say. Boot into verbose mode, type this or that in, tried it. Besides the fact that I use Acronis OS selector to boot, which means all I see when I boot into mac is a black screen welcoming me to Darwin/x86 and then the apple logo shortly after (normal) so I have no prompt to enter options in. Also, I researched it earlier, it was said I could change boot.apple.info.plist or whatever its name is to change boot options. Fine, but when I rebooted my screen tells me that the resolution's refresh rate isn't displayable (I'm UK, 60hz.) I tried putting x60 on the end of the variable, nothing. Also, I use XXX2 (I know there's a proper abbreviation for it, but those will do) intead of XXX3 drivers, so apparently it'll get ignored anyway.

I have a 19" monitor, so am used to running at 1280x1024 in Windows. But here, I'm stuck at 1024x768. Arg.

If anyone fancies a challenge, I'd really appreciate some help with these issues. I'm more interested in fixing the second issue than the first, however :P

Cheers!

!MNc99

1. Occasional left-over bits of screen

They are called artifacts (artefacts for you Brits).

2. 1280x1024, where art thou?

I know what you want to say. Boot into verbose mode, type this or that in, tried it. Besides the fact that I use Acronis OS selector to boot, which means all I see when I boot into mac is a black screen welcoming me to Darwin/x86 and then the apple logo shortly after (normal) so I have no prompt to enter options in. Also, I researched it earlier, it was said I could change boot.apple.info.plist or whatever its name is to change boot options. Fine, but when I rebooted my screen tells me that the resolution's refresh rate isn't displayable (I'm UK, 60hz.) I tried putting x60 on the end of the variable, nothing. Also, I use XXX2 (I know there's a proper abbreviation for it, but those will do) intead of XXX3 drivers, so apparently it'll get ignored anyway.

When you see that black screen, start tapping F8 and hope you are lucky to get the prompt to enter verbose or single user mode (-v or -s).

XXX2 is SSE2 and XXX3 is SSE3

Tell us about your machine: particularly about the video - onboard or separate card, vendor and model.

They are called artifacts (artefacts for you Brits).

All righty... how can I get rid of them? XD

Tell us about your machine: particularly about the video - onboard or separate card, vendor and model.

Ok, well, for a start, I'm fairly sure it's not SSE2/3 you're thinking of. I use 3, this is a video driver thingy. Unrelated.

Ok. Prescott CPU, ATi radeon X300/X550 (Windows doesn't seem to want to tell me which), 3GHz Intel Pentium 4HT processor, 250GB HD, 8GB OSx86 Partition. ATi Chipset. Realtek HD Audio set. 2 DVD-R drives.

Sorry if it wasn't verbose enough.

With your video hardware, you need to investigate the Callisto software and the Koverg patch. Search for both of those to learn how to implement them. The Collisto software can be found here:

http://omni.starchaser.org/callisto/

Unfortunately, I think you will be stuck with some artifacts - no one has eliminated them for your video setup. Using software like Mousepose helps eliminate some of them caused by the cursor by forcing areas around the cursor to be redrawn.