How important is the motherboard in making a hackintosh?

4 posts in this topic

I want to embark in installing OS 10.6 on my PC for the ultimate goal to run Final Cut Pro HD.

I have a Core i7 920, 6GIGs of DDR3 RAM, empty SATA HD, ASRock X58 extreme (lga 1366 mobo), and ATI Radeon 5870 card.

Are my expectations realistic based on the hardware i have? I know that i have some pre-reqs like an intel processor, sse3, but I wasn't too sure about the mobo and ATI card.

I toyed so far with Empire EFI and made a boot CD with it. Is this a good way to start or am I outdated? I haven't received my 10.6 disc yet but I did try to use my old 10.4 tiger CDs and it didn't want to boot. (It said "missing magic number" error or something like that.

I appreciate any input. Thank you.

I won't bother to take time to research the compatibility of OS X with your motherboard, I'll leave that up to you. To answer you question though, yes the motherboard is a very important part of your hackintosh experience. You can't take your lack of success with your Tiger media as an indication of anything, as the tools you are probably using was not designed for that OS.

Google is your friend.

ty for the reply. Google is my friend, yes, but not always. Sometimes people with experience are better than google. There is no info at all about the mobo I have so I'll just have to take a shot at it.

My other question is about whether I should use the retail snow leopard DVD or some modified copy. Which is the usual route and which is easier?

ty for the reply. Google is my friend, yes, but not always. Sometimes people with experience are better than google. There is no info at all about the mobo I have so I'll just have to take a shot at it.

My other question is about whether I should use the retail snow leopard DVD or some modified copy. Which is the usual route and which is easier?

Google is my best friend, he brought me here(insanelymac.com and osx86 project) they had a list of compatible hardware, what worked out the box, and a bunch of guides to instal osX. check http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.3 to see if yor mobo is compatible, I ask for help or opinions when I'm at the end of the road with no solutions but hey that's me, I'm replying cuz I know how you feel but remember Google is your best friend.