Need a laptop(for hackintosh) to supplement iPad

4 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I'm attending college this fall and think that iPad is the right thing for me. Its a great reader, games, notes, blogging. All is good there.

But, I need a laptop to accompany. Also its supposed to be a *hackintosh*. I had macs at home and just 'm not a PC guy. I'm looking for something that is core i5 atleast, has an NVIDIA GPU (must for a hackintosh), and goes with me for atlest 2 to 3 yrs. It has to be somewhere around $1300-1400. Thats all I could save after the iPad. ($1200 would be sweet tho)

On it I want to do things that I cannot on iPad. Video encoding, Storage, music library stuff, web-designing and some programming.

Please help. I'm joining soon. Need something good enough.

Brother, why is that?

With the fast pace of college lecture classes (and the fact that the teacher doesn't care if you didn't hear what they last said--it's on you to copy it down), it's already difficult to get everything you need with a physical keyboard and very fast typing skills. Taking notes on a virtual screen, no matter how "realistic" and "awesome" it is, will be very limiting. You'll understand this within the first few class meetings, and I can guarantee you'll end up bringing your "hackintosh" laptop into class with you instead of the iPad. A few kids in my classes brought iPads to class last semester and took notes on them, but I never saw them bring it more than that first time. 2 days later when the class met again, they all had their laptops back with them, and we never saw the iPads again. I guess they understood that functionality outweighs trendiness in the learning environment.

Just 2 cents from another college student.