booting problem 10.4.5

spiffyfitz

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm experiencing the same "Waiting for root device" error that many others are experiencing. My unfortunate situation is that I no longer have a DVD burner drive, it was in my mac mini when i sold it, so I can't burn a new install DVD.

I installed using a 10.4.5 disc... a Is there any way to fix the problem? I've checked the jumpers on my hard drive and everything is all right, OS X just won't boot.

Are there any sse2 images of 10.4.5 or higher that i can just dd over to my empty hard disk?

I also can't seem to get into a verbose bootup... -v -x does nothing for me. It worked once, and It ended up showing something about my network card's kext file and then waiting for root device. but that's all i have.

Any support is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've searched the forum and I've tried everything I can find. I've checked and double checked the hard disk jumpers, my BIOS reports that the hard disk is the primary master drive. I've also booted into the DVD installer and copied the mach kernel over to my mac os x partition, which is the only partition on the hard drive. I used disk utility to create the partition, so it should be set up correctly.

Someone mentioned something about updates being on the DVD installer... If there are updates, how do i install them?

I finally figured out what i've been doing wrong with my verbose startup... I've been hitting the enter key next to the " key instead of the enter key on the number pad... for some reason it makes a difference.

Well anyway, this is the exact message in the error:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still no hope. I read something about a Cable Select IDE ribbon instead of a standard ribbon. In the case of a Dell Optiplex GX260, with its proprietary case innards, whether or not this should make a difference? It appears as though many others have installed osx86 on this system without a hitch.