Update 10.6.2 > 10.6.4 = Artifacts

^GoJo^

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

So i'm trying to update to 10.6.4 from 10.6.2, i followed directions written on netkas site/blog:

Radeon 4830/4850 – new framebuffer has same problem as leopard’s – inability to work without dvi2vga dongle in second port, to fix it – use 10.6.2 framebuffer, to do it – make backups of the following kexts before update:ATI4800Controller.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

Restore there kexts from backup after update and before reboot, or, if you already rebooted after update – use dvi2vga dongle to get display, and replace those files.

So right after the install was over, i copied the old kext that i saved, so my device was included inside it.

I was only able to get graphics with safe mode. I tried to restart with -f again after but still artifacts...

Oh and i tried to boot using 2nd DVI adapter, just one, different positions, etc... Still artifacts... Why?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your answer. So if i understand (asking that in case of new install) i only need to plug this legacy kext in E/E or S/L/E and reboot, nothing more? I mean, not using older framebuffer like netkas said?

Thanks for your answer. So if i understand (asking that in case of new install) i only need to plug this legacy kext in E/E or S/L/E and reboot, nothing more? I mean, not using older framebuffer like netkas said?

Nope

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1503808

you may have problems with black screen

to solve just one adapter in the second DVI port

Summary

Monitor connected to the first DVI

adapter (DVI2VGA) on the second DVI input

Bingo

"This problem of dvi2vga dongle was due to a change of version 10.6.3 framebuffer, similar to what happened in Leopard.

At present, no need to use the dvi2vga dongle, just use the framebuffer version 10.6.2"

It worked, however i have some trouble, i get a message all the time "the system extension LegacyATI4800Controller.kext wasn't installed correctly and can't be used. You said we have to copy it, not install with kexthelper... So why do i get that? Also had trouble with booting (freezing during boot..) but IT SEEMS resolved...

EDIT: Ok in fact it is NOT resolved... I don't know why, i get the "still waiting for root partition" even though i re-installed myhack and made sure i checked the drivers to avoid that... I'll make a new copy and try again, but it's strange!