TUTORIAL: Dual Boot 10.6.4 (Single SATA) - Windows 7 (ICH9 Software RAID5)

1 post in this topic

Hi guys ... I am writing this tutorial on my flawlessly (at least I hope it stays that way ...) working Snow Leopard 10.6.4 at noon ... This is my first REALLY working install and I've been trying since 10 PM yesterday ... yaawn

But because these forums were extremely helpful and it was otherwise impossible to find an updated tutorial I chose to trace my steps here for the helpless.

First: My SPECS

Motherboard: ASUS P5E

CPU: Q9300 - 4X2.5(OC to 3,2)

RAM: 4096MB (mushkin)

GPU: GeForce 8800 GT 1024MB RAM (can only use 512 right now ... would like help with the efi string)

AUDIO: Audigy ZS 2 Platinum Pro (only playback works, no inputs)

previously setup: ICH9 RAID 5 with 2 striped volumes and 1 mirrored volume

####################

So I went out yesterday to buy a:

Transcend 16 GB Stick for 37€ ... that was at least as important as:

having my macbook ready next to me while setting up ... otherwise its just too frustrating

#######################

Anyway, here is what I did:

- As mentioned above I had a RAID 5 on 2 HDs with a working version of Win7 I use a couple of months now with important data I didn't want to lose.

- I had a spare SATA drive so I chose to give the good old Hackintosh a try and searched for tutorials and my ORIGINAL SNOW LEOPARD INSTALL DVD I bought for my macbook so I could create my own image

- So first I followed this tutorial (the easy way with the magic installer although I dont use this Motherboard ... pure luck it worked?, dont forget to patch the install files either manually or with the installer!!!) to create a x86 bootable snow leopard install environment on my USB STICK:

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

- As I went through trial and error I also put these utilities on the USB Stick:

post-333915-1278761215_thumb.png

from left to right: Kext Helper b7 (just google kext helper) is a very recommended app for installing kexts, those are configuration files that ARE IMPORTANT NOT TO BE MESSED AROUND WITH, some snow leopard kexts ... google them if you dont know what they are and which you need, I have the following on my Snow Leopard 10.6.1 install volume in the /Extras/ folder (where all extra information about hardware and such are going):

post-333915-1278761548_thumb.png

Other utilities I used were the developer tools that come with OSX (extra install though in optional installs) and a little program called System Info that shows what kext files are loaded and what hardware the support

Ok .... then proceed with the tutorial, installing SL should work fine (dont forget to turn on ACPI in the BIOS)

when the install is done forget the tutorial ... now you're on your own and your proceedings are crucial and can mess up the whole system (well not really but it gets hard when you mess up the starting procedure, thats why you should continue using chameleon and definitely print out some manual or guide (there is a readme in thes download folder i.e.)

-------------

this is how the rest worked out for me:

- fixed network problem with marvell controller - manipulated appleyukon.plist (not exact name) in System/Library/Extensions/ ... you just have to change some values ... use textwrangler or if you have xcode installed the apple utility

- fixed audio with kXAudioDriver1.11b0

- fixed video by using a EFI STUDIO preset for my video card and clicked on "write to com.apple.boot.plist", QuartzComposer working great =)

- installed Chameleon 2 RC4 from an executable package somewhere off the internet

- then I installed a nice theme I downloaded of Voodoo boards and while learning where everything goes I modified the "device property" value of com.apple.boot.plist inside root:/extra/ according to my EFI STUDIO String to get graphics working again

all of those took several restarts, dont install too much at the same time and be careful with the kext files ...

THEN I JUST WENT FOR OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPDATE - No problem, very smooth indeed ... now I'm running the latest Version! Yipee!

my only problem now was the crazy procedure I had to go through to get into osx

(get inside bios -> change to acpi,

manuall select other boot volume and then

clicking on osx in chameleon where it finally starts)

so i just tried to get it all to work together and just tried it like this:

TURN RAID ON AND SET the single HD as Primary Start Volume in BIOS

save&exit

OSX started but of course it still cant read the raid, and probably never will, but it still works in raid5 mode at least and my windows raid stays intact!

Only the Win7 Volume couldnt be read anymore ... I downloaded the Win 7 Recovery Image (search for Windows Recovery Environment +bootable, you should find a torrent somewhere) and booted that up on a burned cd to enter windows command prompt:

here i executed Bootrec.exe according to a guide by microsoft for fixing the mast boot record of my first raid volume and ended up in creating a new boot table that could boot my windows again but broke chameleon temporarily:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

then, still in command prompt (ok after several restarts ^^), I worked with the last steps of this tutorial to set the (!!!) EFI partition (!!!) on my OSX HardDisk as an active partition:

http://mymacbookmini.com/guides/hp-mini-31...indows-7-guide/

then I used the chameleon boot loader on my USB STICK again to boot into OSX

(to be clear I used that everytime the bootloader on the mac volume was not working and from usb it could always boot up OSX)

FINALLY TO ENABLE CHAMELEON BACK AS THE ONLY BOOTLOADER I used the last part in this tutorial to set the (!!!)partition where OSX rests, a.k.a. main volume (!!!) as active:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

-----------

Again, thanks guys ... without your endless Q&A I wouldn't have what I have ... A pretty cool system I built in one night from scratch without ever asking a question myself :)