Working on a non destructive "Hackintosh" Mod.

4 posts in this topic

Sorry for my awful english. Well my project has 2 targets. Firstly making a powerpc g5 clone obviously only externaly. Secondly making the clone without destroying so much really nothing. I will try to be sintetic.

My hardware is:

G5 enclosure

POWER SUPPLY NOX APEX 700W Modular

MOBO DFI LANPARTY DK X58-T3eH6.

CPU I7 920

6Gb(3x2Gb) Mushking RAM 1600Mhz DDR3 CL7

GPU XFX hd4890

HDD 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Seagate Barracuda.

TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps 11n Wireless PCI Atheros

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU heatsink with 2 fans

Now the task route plan I have done :

1º I bought a G5 enclosure at ebay.

2º I cleaned it. I extract the mobo fixations with pliers. Taking care don't scratch the alloy. After this I put those ones at the correct position with EPOXI for mobo to set it .

And now I'm thinking about how and where to put the power supply.

Those are my designs. What do you suggest? something different?

op1

4777678019_a626097638_d.jpg

op2

4778311358_e9e65b4fe0_d.jpg

I would place the power supply in the bottom of the case, and be sure to use special stick on pads to allow you to zip-tie the cables down to keep them neat and also out of the path of airflow.

I also would suggest running the fans so that air goes in the front and out the back. A surprising amount of dust accumulates behind computers, so having the rear as the intake (in my opinion) only increases the amount of dust that will enter the system. Since the G5/Mac Pro cases do not have air filters, I'd say it's one of the most important things to keep in mind.

I will also say that in a properly laid out computer, you should only need a small number of fans. If you use a tower style heatsink, then one on the CPU cooler, one as exhaust. Additionally, to keep GFX temps as low as possible, one on the graphics card. If the cooler has a fan built in, then as long as it works well, it's a great choice. If you have a passively cooled graphics card, I would suggest giving it some more airflow than what it has, because even a small breeze can make a huge difference in temperatures. Most hard drives do not need additional airflow, so I would say you do not need a hard drive cooling fan. If you use a hard drive such as a Western Digital Raptor, or even the Velociraptor, that is a different case, and they can benefit from a cooling fan, however only so much. I have a Raptor in my computer, and it does not have a fan anywhere near it, and it's temps are the same as my standard 7200RPM drives, with only 3 cooling fans in my computer.

If your computer uses a "rifle" style heatsink, or stock cooling solution (fan blowing down towards the motherboard), sometimes an intake fan can benefit the system, however this should be carefully chosen based on the exhaust fan. When possible, I would suggest using a wider fan for exhaust, such as 38mm rather than the standard 25 because the increase in pressure does help computers a lot.

Regardless of what your components are, the CPU should have a fan, there should be one exhaust fan, and the GFX card should also have a fan. The power supply will have it's own fan, and that should be all the cooling you need with just about any computer (including overclocked computers).

Just my $0.02.

• 2 weeks later...

It's better to have the air intake on the front of the case for :

- the dust (mentioned before)

- the graphic card blows hot air at the rear of the case, so you you have the intake right there, it will take HOT air in.