Intermittent sound problems

barnett25

8 posts in this topic

I have everything working pretty well (except I dont have QE or CI), but I am having an audio problem.

My sound (built in 7.1 AC97 in ASUS K8N Mobo) works most of the time, but sometimes when I open a new audio source like a quicktime movie or another song in iTunes the audio just quits working. If I close and re-open anything playing audio it will sometimes work again. Sometimes I can just click on another song, then back to the first one to make it work. I usually just have to keep closing and opening things until something plays sound, then everything will work. Sometimes I have to reboot. This doesn't happen all the time, just often enough to be annoying.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I started having this exact problem tonight. It can't seem to replicate any situation that causes or remedies it, it just happens randomly. I hope somebody out there has a solution!! Unlike with the original post above, mine happens often enough that now sound is not working more often than its working.

Just when I thought this was all working perfectly (although without QE/CI just like above)

I have the A8N SLI-Deluxe motherboard.

I started having this exact problem tonight. It can't seem to replicate any situation that causes or remedies it, it just happens randomly. I hope somebody out there has a solution!! Unlike with the original post above, mine happens often enough that now sound is not working more often than its working.

Just when I thought this was all working perfectly (although without QE/CI just like above)

I have the A8N SLI-Deluxe motherboard.

So I'm not the only one!

Mine is about as often as yours, but I reboot often which seems to reset it.

hey freakin shot in the dark, but are you using a ps/2 keyboard? granted this problem didnt start as soon as i started using a ps/2 keyboard, but ever since i put the usb one back on i havent had a problem... granted this was 5 minutes ago so it may be the placebo effect, but i'll keep testing and maybe you'll wanna give it a try

good luck :)

edit: seems to make quite a difference in the frequency of the problem, but its not perfect :dance_24:

hey freakin shot in the dark, but are you using a ps/2 keyboard? granted this problem didnt start as soon as i started using a ps/2 keyboard, but ever since i put the usb one back on i havent had a problem... granted this was 5 minutes ago so it may be the placebo effect, but i'll keep testing and maybe you'll wanna give it a try

good luck :)

edit: seems to make quite a difference in the frequency of the problem, but its not perfect :)

scratch all that, its just as bad as it was

are we the only 2 that have this problem? i cant believe that!

scratch all that, its just as bad as it was

are we the only 2 that have this problem? i cant believe that!

I don't have anything ps/2 plugged in. It is a really odd problem. If a video doesnt play sound I can usually skip ahead several times and it will start playing sound. Sometimes this doesnt work though and I have to reboot. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

i've started using osx almost exclusively and this is really becoming a deal-breaker... im considering buying a cheap soundcard that's compatible (namely that one usb sound card thats like 15 bucks on newegg) and just going from there with the ac97 disabled

but i dont want it to come to that :)