Airport / Ethernet not appearing?

Bansheelap

2 posts in this topic

Hey, this is my first post!

After a couple days of fooling around till 3am I Finally managed to install iATKOS v7 on my Alienware, specs,

(For those who had troubles getting stuck at BSM auditing or the endless reboot I fixed mine with, busratio=20 cpus=1)

Anyways, so after being excited and what not I found out through searching that my wifi card,

Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11AGN Half Mini Card does not have a supported driver yet.

But my main question is, why is it that the option for Airport or Ethernet isnt even there when I look under networks, I only see, Firewire, 6 to 4, and 2 other things (Can't remember on the desktop in the living room) But my main question was, why can I not see Airport or Ethernet, do I need a supporting driver then they will appear? Also how do you install the drivers without internet, would I download something put it on a USB stick and do something with it on my alienware? Anyways any help would be great, sorry for the big run on sentence.

heres a pic for better understanding

photorq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks, Banshee!

Firewire shows up since its a detected Network Device... Ethernet would only show up if a Network Card was detected... Airport will only show up if you have a supported Wireless Card..... In some cases a wireless card will show up as Ethernet but they would need thirdparty Software to connect....

Example on my friends Desktop his Ethernet Works out of the box with OSX.. now his Wireless card doesnt work but after i load the Kext(drivers) for it... it shows up as Ethernet 1.. The only way that he can connect wirelessly is by using Ralink USB Software that comes with the Kext... Even though it is a Wireless Card Leopard doesnt not seeing as so but as another enthernet.