Problems with "choppy" playback of video in high quality

dmd-0

6 posts in this topic

Hi.

On windows xp i can watch hd and blu ray rips in bs player smoothly, but in osx, playback is "choppy", seeking takes a long time... I have tried with quicktime, vlc player and nice player..the same thing in all of them..

my configuration is:

OSx iAtkos v7 (10.5.7)

cpu: Pentium 4 2.8 HT (oc-ed 3,03ghz)

ram: 2gb ddr2

mbo: foxconn 8ksh2

vga: gf 8500gt 512mb

Is it bcz of too slow hardware (i suppose OSx is using more hw resuorces than win xp) or the problem is with software?

also, a minor problem - is there any way to get multimedia keys on BTC 5213c keyboard working?

thank you in advance :)

Hi.

On windows xp i can watch hd and blu ray rips in bs player smoothly, but in osx, playback is "choppy", seeking takes a long time... I have tried with quicktime, vlc player and nice player..the same thing in all of them..

my configuration is:

OSx iAtkos v7 (10.5.7)

cpu: Pentium 4 2.8 HT (oc-ed 3,03ghz)

ram: 2gb ddr2

mbo: foxconn 8ksh2

vga: gf 8500gt 512mb

Is it bcz of too slow hardware (i suppose OSx is using more hw resuorces than win xp) or the problem is with software?

also, a minor problem - is there any way to get multimedia keys on BTC 5213c keyboard working?

thank you in advance :)

Are you sure that you have got Quartz Extreme and Core Image enabled? Check in System Profiler.

pretty sure

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0421

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: CoreVidia 1.1

Displays:

Philips 200WS:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

1 thing i have just noticed - using XBMC (http://xbmc.org/), playback of those videos under OSx is fine..so i suppose xbmc is using other codecs or other renderer? can u recommend me some player that is nice and simple as NicePlayer or something that will solve problem when playing high quality videos?

:thumbsup_anim:

720p should play fine in VLC, however with 1080p MKV files, even my real 8 core Mac Pro has issues

I have to change settings in VLC -> Other Codec to get working, but it degrades the quality slightly, so now i only download 720p files

try to edit VLC settings from this guide i found (you can always reset VLC back to defaults)

first link

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...AAAAqgQFT9COHew

well..it is working fine now, but its decreasing the quality alot..and in xbmc or in winxp, the quality is fine..is there any way of making it look the same? :P

thanks anyway :P

edit: i was trying 720p videos