Resize Partitions

6 posts in this topic

I know there are a lot of topics out there similar to what I am trying to do, but I am a little bit confused.

I have 4 paritions on my hdd 1) System Reserved (i guess Windows made it automatically) 2) Windows 7 3) Leopard 4) Snow Leopard

I have a lot of empty space on my Leopard but I only use Leopard for maintenance reasons on my Snow. I want to shrink my Leopard and transfer that empty space to my Snow.

How would I go about doing this?

I know there are a lot of topics out there similar to what I am trying to do, but I am a little bit confused.

I have 4 paritions on my hdd 1) System Reserved (i guess Windows made it automatically) 2) Windows 7 3) Leopard 4) Snow Leopard

I have a lot of empty space on my Leopard but I only use Leopard for maintenance reasons on my Snow. I want to shrink my Leopard and transfer that empty space to my Snow.

How would I go about doing this?

As your HDD is partitioned as MBR (for Windows) and not GPT, then your OS X volumes will require 3rd party software to resize them..........I use iPartition myself...........however, resizing volumes on-the-fly is not without risk and can take a long time..........

So, given that you only use Leopard for maintenance reasons, the safer time-saving alternative is that you:

1. Save all important Leopard non-vanilla kexts etc. to a folder on your SL volume.

2. Use Disk Utility (or Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone your SL system onto the former Leopard volume

3. Re-install Leopard on the former SL volume using a distro DVD as before

As your HDD is partitioned as MBR (for Windows) and not GPT, then your OS X volumes will require 3rd party software to resize them..........I use iPartition myself...........however, resizing volumes on-the-fly is not without risk and can take a long time..........

So, given that you only use Leopard for maintenance reasons, the safer time-saving alternative is that you:

1. Save all important Leopard non-vanilla kexts etc. to a folder on your SL volume.

2. Use Disk Utility (or Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone your SL system onto the former Leopard volume

3. Re-install Leopard on the former SL volume using a distro DVD as before

Well I decided I won't need the Leopard partition. I can just install Leopard to an external hdd, so in case I get a kernel panic or I can't access Snow, I can just boot from external hdd Leopard and fix any issue.

Is it possible to expand my current Snow partition without having to reinstall? Do I delete or just format my Leopard partition? Is it possible to do all of this with the terminal instead of using iPartition?

Well I decided I won't need the Leopard partition. I can just install Leopard to an external hdd, so in case I get a kernel panic or I can't access Snow, I can just boot from external hdd Leopard and fix any issue.

Is it possible to expand my current Snow partition without having to reinstall? Do I delete or just format my Leopard partition? Is it possible to do all of this with the terminal instead of using iPartition?

See here...........this may be what you are looking for............ :(

See here...........this may be what you are looking for............ :)

Cool thanks a lot, it worked great.

In summary, this is what I did. I no longer required my Leopard partition since I installed it onto an external usb drive. Thus, if I required any maintained on my Snow, I can just boot into Leopard from external.

In order to merge two partition, you need to first identify your disk and partitions. Use the command below in terminal:

diskutil list

Now use the command below two merge two partitions. NOTE: The first partition will be kept intact and the second will be merged. Thus, in the command below, partition 1 will grow, and all the data in partition 2 will be lost.

sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s1 disk0s2

Once thing I noticed using the command above is that the partitions must be sequential in order to merge. This means, you CAN'T expand partition 2 and destroy the data of partition 1.

Issue solved!

• 1 month later...