Reduce Leopard Install to Barebone

Zythyr

2 posts in this topic

I currently have 3 partitions on my hdd: 1) Windows 2) Leopard 3) Snow Leopard. I only need my Leopard install to maintenance of my Snow (since on my laptop, I need to have Leopard running to install Snow). I only boot into Leopard to fix any errors or any problems I have with my Snow.

Thus I am trying to figure out how I can reduce my Leopard install to less than 4GB (if possible). Currently it is taking up 7GB of space on my hdd. I also tried removing all the unnecessary applications like iTunes, Quicktime, etc...

What else can I do to make more space?

Better to RESTORE Snow Leopard DVD to HD THEN DELETE ALL FILES IN /System/Installation/Packages

and the Optional Installs Folder.

This brings down the size to under 2gig

It will boot and complain about missing files BUT you can use Diskutil, Terminal etc for repair work.

Best to FIX Snow WITH Snow...

Can't just restore SL to hdd. For me to be able to install SL on my PC, I need to install it from a working Leopard, because installation requires formatting partition, fixing permission, replacing/deleting kext which won't allow me to boot into SL, etc...

All I am trying to do is stripping down my Leopard to less than 3-4GB, so I can just use basic apps like Terminal, diskutil, etc...

I manually started deleting files/folders in Library and System/Library related to apps that I don't need. But there are a lot of files/folders, I am unsure I need or not.