Help with bootloader

5 posts in this topic

Hello I have Linux and WinXP installed on my laptop together with a 10GB of free partition space. I want to install OS X to the free space using this guide. But I want to use the boot loader of Linux, GRUB. As I understand from the guide, OS X uses the Chameleon boot loader to boot, right? So how can I just install the Chameleon on the first sector of the OS X's partition instead of the MBR of my hard drive, and chainload to it from GRUB? Thanks.

Oh and hardware I'm going to test is(just in case):

Intel Pentium dual core T2370

Intel 965 integrated gfx

2 Gigs of ram.

thx!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222431

See my thread, I'm basically doing the same thing and using Grub and should answer 99% of your questions, if you have more, let me know. You'll probably find my method to be easier than the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install if you get the drivers worked out. The iATKOS S3 install will replace your current boot loader with Chameleon. I use a ArchLinux rescue CD after I'm done installing OSX to restore grub.

I boot the linux rescue cd and log in a root.

I type "grub" enter, then at the GRUB Promt I type the following

GRUB> Setup (hd0) (hd0,1)

(hd0) is your first hard drive

(hd0,1) is the first hard drive, second partition (the one where my Linux os resides, more specifically, the /boot directory)

I will say that 10Gig isn't very much if you actually want to install some of the applications for OSX such as iLife 09 (4 gig installed).

If you just want to see OSX come up and play with it a little 10G should be ok.

Ether..

****Booting Chameleon with Grub Boot Loader****

I am using GRUB to boot my OS's.

The iATKOS S3 OSX install replaces whatever bootloader you have with a variant of Chameleon.

I reinstated GRUB as my primary bootloader as Chameleon does not detect my XFS Linux partition. If anyone is interested in learning how to get grub to boot Chameleon then do this. (I did it from Linux)

Restore Grub as your boot loader:

The iATKOS S3 install will replace your current boot loader with Chameleon. I use a ArchLinux rescue CD after I'm done installing OSX to restore grub.

I boot the linux rescue cd and log in a root.

I type "grub" enter, then at the GRUB Prompt I type the following:

GRUB> setup (hd0) (hd0,1)

(hd0) is your first hard drive

(hd0,1) is the first hard drive, second partition (the one where my Linux os resides, more specifically, the /boot directory)

Exit from the GRUB> prompt, reboot and eject the rescue CD. GRUB will now be your boot loader (Your shiny new OSX install wont be listed yet)

Boot into Linux

Download Chameleon 2 RC4 and extract. In the 'bin" directory locate "boot1h".

Write boot1h to the OSX partition like this.

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sda[partition number of OSX in my case it's 4]

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sda4

Copy the boot0 file to /boot/

edit your grub.conf (some distros) or menu.lst (archlinux and other distros) and add an entry like:

title Mac OS X (10.6 Snow Leopard)

rootnoverify (hd0,3)

makeactive

chainloader (hd0,1)/boot/boot0

Explained (hd0,3) is the grub perspective on my mac os partion. The linux number is 4, let me illustrate

Linux Grub MyPartitionScheme

/dev/sda1 (hd0,0) XP-NTFS

/dev/sda2 (hd0,1) ArchLinux

/dev/sda3 (hd0,2) NTFS Partition

/dev/sda4 (hd0,3) OSX Partition

rootnoverify (hd0,3) is the OSX partition

chainloder (hd0,1) is the partition where the boot0 file is located

****NOTE**** If Chameleon was not previously your bootloader for OSX you have one more simple step. In the Chameleon RC4 bin directory locate the file call "boot". Mount your OSX partition and copy it into the root directory of your OSX partition. Unmount the OSX partition and reboot. You should be good-to-go.

Cheers!

Ether

• 4 months later...

Hi!

This doesn't work for my installation. GRUB just won't chainload chameleon. Any ideas what else I can try?

This is my menu.lst...

title Mac OS X Snow Leopard

rootnoverify (hd3,1)

makeactive

chainloader /boot0

Grub is installed on a USB-Stick, so also the Linux kernels and also the "boot0" file.

PS: There is the "boot" file in OSX's root.

Regards, fooness