Can you guys post working USB Wireless adapters on 10.6.4?

sendblink23

10 posts in this topic

Well as the title says it "Can you guys post working USB Wireless adapters on 10.6.4?"

All the threads I see are pretty old about mentioning working USB Wireless adapters.. most max I see they mention is on 10.6.2... well what about 10.6.4?

I have a Netgear WG111v2 which worked perfectly through 10.4 - 10.5, but on 10.6 I've only gotten it to work on 10.6.2 on a laptop (Acer 3680), it does not work on my 2 desktop builds(no clue why the heck to be honest) used same method installed 10.5 installer from realtek rtl8187l then afterwards go in S/L/E drag the kext to the desktop installed it with kext utility and after reboot.. it simply didn't work (realtek app just kept bouncing around, device simply doesn't turn on - it is detected under About This Mac > more info > usb devices), I even did: sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/rt8187l.kext as suggested on another thread. So my final guess it just works with some computers & other don't(I only work in 32bits not 64bits if you're wondering since I'm on AMD).

So obviously time to give up on this cheap usb wireless & buy a different one.... what are other usb wireless adapters that work perfectly fine under Snow Leopard 10.6.4. Sorry, but please do not recommend me any PCI slot type because I have in my computer 2 video cards and all the Case slots for pci entries are used already from those video cards.

I would appreciate the suggested usb's to be on Ebay.

Set up that i'll be using it for:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 3.80Ghz (224 x 17 - 1.38v)

MOBO: GIGABYTE MA790XT-UD4P

RAM: 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333

GFX: XFX 5770 1GB (Windows) / EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB (OSX)

HD: 1TB Hitachi (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) - 500GB Seagate (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64) - 400GB Seagate (Snow Leopard 10.6.4)

Optical Drive: LG DVD-RW

PSU: Corsair TX850w

Case: CM 590

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 - Exhaust R4's: Fan>Shroud>Rad>Fan

Thanks

try USB stick TPLink TL-WN321G ( RT73) .... fine in my SL Server 10.6.4 ...... :) work great with KisMAC :D :D .....

That's nice... you mentioned RT73

Well which driver is it? From in Here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

you can use .... USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500) 04/13/2010 Driver: V1.3.0.0

Ra UI: V3.0.0.0 10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 ..... ;)

Thanks, I just ordered today :D

you can use .... USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500) 04/13/2010 Driver: V1.3.0.0

Ra UI: V3.0.0.0 10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 ..... :)

bro, I've just received the TL-WN321G

Used the installer you suggested, ofcourse used the 10.6 package installer... but after rebooting nothing has happened.. I even went into Network inside System Preferences but nothing... nada... zip...

I checked About This Mac > more info > USB

The device is recognized and its IDs are: Product ID: 0x2573 - Vendor ID: 0x148f

Then I tried installing the 10.5 package installer & the same thing nothing happened after reboot

I verified System/Library/Extensions found Ralink installs their own kext... I right-clicked it to show the package contents & went to see if inside "Info.plist" ... after reading all through it found nothing that had my product id or vendor id... so I decided to manipulate one called Ralink 2 ... I changed I added my own Product & Vendor ID - then tested both KextHelper (rebooted but nothing) & KextUtility (rebooted but nothing).

So any help here? My connection is un-secured (no password needed) so that anything can connect to it. The device works perfectly on Windows 7.... any wisdom from your experience with yours???

I checked About This Mac > more info > USB

The device is recognized and its IDs are: Product ID: 0x2573 - Vendor ID: 0x148f

that's the same ID's as mine

idwifi.jpg

... nothing special to install this stick in my vanilla Snow Leo Server .... just run RT71W-Ralink-SnowLeopard.pkg inside RT71W_Ralink-10.6 folder .... and then restart.... after OSX back the Wireless Utility rise up to scans the hotspots....

that's the same ID's as mine

idwifi.jpg

... nothing special to install this stick in my vanilla Snow Leo Server .... just run RT71W-Ralink-SnowLeopard.pkg inside RT71W_Ralink-10.6 folder .... and then restart.... after OSX back the Wireless Utility rise up to scans the hotspots....

I feel kind of stupid, it does work.... I just forgot to test starting the computer without the USB wireless... and afterwards its on the Desktop... then connect the adapter... it then did the pop up of connection :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you for suggesting me this USB Wireless

Well as the title says it "Can you guys post working USB Wireless adapters on 10.6.4?"

All the threads I see are pretty old about mentioning working USB Wireless adapters.. most max I see they mention is on 10.6.2... well what about 10.6.4?

I have a Netgear WG111v2 which worked perfectly through 10.4 - 10.5, but on 10.6 I've only gotten it to work on 10.6.2 on a laptop (Acer 3680), it does not work on my 2 desktop builds(no clue why the heck to be honest) used same method installed 10.5 installer from realtek rtl8187l then afterwards go in S/L/E drag the kext to the desktop installed it with kext utility and after reboot.. it simply didn't work (realtek app just kept bouncing around, device simply doesn't turn on - it is detected under About This Mac > more info > usb devices), I even did: sudo kextutil -t -v /System/Library/Extensions/rt8187l.kext as suggested on another thread. So my final guess it just works with some computers & other don't(I only work in 32bits not 64bits if you're wondering since I'm on AMD).

So obviously time to give up on this cheap usb wireless & buy a different one.... what are other usb wireless adapters that work perfectly fine under Snow Leopard 10.6.4. Sorry, but please do not recommend me any PCI slot type because I have in my computer 2 video cards and all the Case slots for pci entries are used already from those video cards.

I would appreciate the suggested usb's to be on Ebay.

Set up that i'll be using it for:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 3.80Ghz (224 x 17 - 1.38v)

MOBO: GIGABYTE MA790XT-UD4P

RAM: 8gb (4 x 2gb) DDR3-1333

GFX: XFX 5770 1GB (Windows) / EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB (OSX)

HD: 1TB Hitachi (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) - 500GB Seagate (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64) - 400GB Seagate (Snow Leopard 10.6.4)

Optical Drive: LG DVD-RW

PSU: Corsair TX850w

Case: CM 590

CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 - Exhaust R4's: Fan>Shroud>Rad>Fan

Thanks

hey try my bro has a netgear 111v3

you can try the driver for it for 10.5

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2654

sadly i have a wna 1100 my dad bought me and i can not get it working but good luck for you :D

• 3 weeks later...

Fellas... quick question:

will this usb dongle also work okay in 10.5.7? I'm planning on upgrading to SL at somepoint, but need to get a stick that will work for now as well.

Thanks in advance!