Asus M51Sn-X2

1 post in this topic

I'm posting this single thread here since it covers multiple topics. I'm not sure where else it should go. I apologize if this is the wrong place. It's a success story on how I got (most) things working, as well as some questions I have about it.

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard on my M51Sn-X2. It's a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM. I used the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method and got 10.6.3 Retail DVD installed with the proper video resolution working. With the initial install, my trackpad never worked, but I use a USB mouse most of the time, so that wasn't a big deal. After updating to 10.6.4, the keyboard didn't work either. I did some looking and successfully got both working with the VoodooPS2Controller and VoodooPS2Trackpad kexts. The Voodoo battery and audio kexts work for me as well. The M51Sn has a HD Audio controller (unsure of the model). Bluetooth does not work (no device detected in System Profiler), but I don't use it. USB works fine (had issues with 10.5, but works in 10.6), and of course FireWire does.

For ethernet (Attansic L1, NOT the L1e) I simply used the kext for it available online. I get full speed with my Internet connection (24Mbps), but haven't tested anything across my LAN between machines. I have Intel 4965 wireless, and I understand that one is probably never going to work, so I'm planning on replacing it with a Broadcom or something. What do you guys recommend?

The other issue I am facing is with my graphics. How can I tell what is enabled and working? I have the transparent menu bar, the effects when adding items on Dashboard are smooth and have no artifacts, and screensavers run smoothly. Sounds like everything's peachy, right? When I run Second Life (specifically Emerald Viewer), I get a much lower framerate than I did with Linux or Windows. Does anyone know why this might be? Second Life uses OpenGL for rendering. My graphics adapter is a Nvidia 9500M GS 512MB with a LCD at 1280x800.

Hope this helps any other peoole out there still rocking a M51Sn (it's a couple of years old), and thanks in advance for answers to my questions! I'm a bit of a geek and sometimes assume that details are understood, so let me know if I need to elaborate more on anything.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that some time ago I installed iDeneb, and flashed my BIOS in order to get that to work properly. I don't know whether Snow Leopard requires this.

One last thing: I noticed that I am not running 64-bit kernel and extensions. Is this an issue? How can I enable it? What benefits does it offer? I always ran Windows and Linux in 64 bits in the past.