Sony J-30SDI Beta Deck not recognized

2 posts in this topic

I've had this same issue on both of my Hackintosh setups. One is a GA-P35-DS4 mobo and the other is a GA-EP35-DS3L mobo. Both are vanilla 10.5.8 installs. The Sony J-30SDI simply connects over firewire but isn't picked up in Final Cut or anywhere from what I can see. It is used to capture in Final Cut without any problems on Macbook Pro and Power Mac G5's at the office. Very strange behavior because everything else as far as external hard drives and other devices work great over firewire.

I've tried on dedicated PCIe firewire cards with 4-pin power connected and onboard firewire to no avail. The beta deck actually makes my GA-P35-DS4 crash Final Cut and freeze all together. It simply just doesn't show up on the GA-EP35-DS3L, no other erratic behavior.

Is this a known limitation with these motherboards as they're both very similar in model. I figured if anything it would work over the dedicated firewire card.

Issue resolved. Tried an old firewire PCI firewire 400 card I had laying around out of desperation and it worked! I wish I knew the model of the card for reference on here in case others are having the same issue. I'll pull it out of the machine when we're done with the project.

For reference, the digibeta deck would not recognize on the original card which is an Aaexeon 4 Port PCI Express 400(1394A)/800(1394B) Controller Card.

I am however capturing over the dedicated 400 card to an external hard drive connected to the 800 card. Nice that they both have their own bus to run on.