Installing Snow Leopard on Asus M70V

4 posts in this topic

--READ FURTHER DOWN--

Hello all Mac OS fans,

it's been a long time since I experimented with MacOS in VMWare, this time I would love to install it to my system. I have Asus M70Vr notebook (C2D P8400, Intel PM45 + ICH9-M, Mobility HD 3470).

I have two hard drives, both 320GB. Both are divided into 2 partitions, the first disk contains Windows Server 2008R2, the other drive has 20GB of old Linux partitions, which will be deleted (17,7GB + 1,83GB). Illustration here:

hcc7j7tx.png

I've read numerous giudes here, but I haven't found any guide for multiboot on different drives. I want to use original retail ISO DVD for installation, so no 3rd party distros. I don't have any Mac computer to my disposal, as many of the guides required, but I hope WMWare image can do it too. Do I have to sacriface whole drive for Mac OS, or just a partition would do it? Because both drives use MBR, not GUID. Or it does not matter?

Simply, what should I do (step by step) to install Mac OS on my notebook, but not to ruin other partitions? Let's say I have a 16GB flashdrive, a laptop with drives as picured and SL 10.6.3 DVD.

Thank You VERY MUCH!

Nevermind, I'm trying to acquire som know-how, but I don't get one thing - there are some kexts, that are included in the bootloader, but some are placed into /S/L/E/. What's the difference? Is it possible to feed just bootloader instead of system, for "cleaner hackintosh"?

The steps I'm probably gonna take:

-reformat one of the drives to use GPT

-make a bootable flashdrive with SL installer, bootloader and some kexts (expecting lot of experimenting here)

-install SL

-install bootloader to hard drive

-post-install... still unknown to me :lol:

So here is my progress so far.

I thought I would be able to use VMWare image of Leopart to prepare a flashdrive for SL installation. But with USB enabled, the image wouldn't boot. So I chose EmpireEfi 1.085 R2 and installation went flawlessly using DVD.

After installation, there was some experimentation with boot options and kexts. If the system hang during boot, I inserted EmpireEfi CD, booted SL and made changes. EEfi is very handy in case you are not able to boot.

I installed Chameleon v2.0 RC4 bootloader (via installer, not manually), now dual-booting with my Win2008 without problems. Kexts in my Extra/Extensions folder are:

- AHCIPortInjector (modified - LINK)

- AppleACPIPS2Nub

- ApplePS2Controller

- fakesmc

- NullCPUPowerManagement

- OpenHaltRestart

- PlatformUUID

- VoodooBattery

- VoodooPowerMini

I also copied com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra. Boot options are: "-v arch=i386". I don't have smbios.plist or dsdt.aml in Extra (do I have to?).

I also installed RadeonHD.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and had to change "EnableHardWareCursor" to false in RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist, because cursor was a rectangle of random colours.

So far working OK, Bluetooth and Ethernet seems to work out of box, webcam worked during install but not now - don't know why, there is some kinda specification violation error during boot related to webcam. Sound probably won't work - I have ALC663 codec, VoodooHDA didn't work. I also have Intel 5100 WiFi adapter, but there are no kexts, probably.

There is one oddity I really don't understand - when I insert a disc into my optical drive while running MacOS and reboot, the drive won't open! I have to turn the notebook off, or eject the disc while running SL. What's the problem?

And what about DSDT? What are benefits of having it patched? I will also try to reduce the number of kexts as much as possible. Any ideas are welcome.