Snow Leopard on Dell Latitude E5500 won't boot into o/s

8 posts in this topic

I tried installing SL 10.6 using hackboot boot disc on my Dell Latitude E5500 but ran into a a little problem and hopefully one of you have an answer.

The installation went great it said it was successfully installed. I rebooted with the hackbot disc in the drive and selected my hard drive (just left the name as untitled) then all I get is a black screen and nothing else. I must be missng a step but not sure what it is.

I have a feeling that when I partitioned the drive using in disk utility i should have specified a name and not left it as "untitled" Please let me know what I'm missing

I did nothing different and just tried it again and now it works

Ok I have SL installed now but have a couple problems hopefully someon can assist with

1st is the trackpad the arrow seems to just move left and right or just go wherever it wants when I plug in a USB mouse the USB mouse works fine but the track pad still goes nuts.

Next it keeps saying I have a unrecognized keyboard and brings up a wizard type thing to calibrate my keyboard I enter the kes it says and it doesnt take so I have to plug in my USB apple keyboard to get through that.

last night I left the computer on at the desktop and this morning it was frozen on a screen saver screen I had to cold boot it

I tried installing SL 10.6 using hackboot boot disc on my Dell Latitude E5500 but ran into a a little problem and hopefully one of you have an answer.

The installation went great it said it was successfully installed. I rebooted with the hackbot disc in the drive and selected my hard drive (just left the name as untitled) then all I get is a black screen and nothing else. I must be missng a step but not sure what it is.

I have a feeling that when I partitioned the drive using in disk utility i should have specified a name and not left it as "untitled" Please let me know what I'm missing

At first, excuse me for my bad english, i'm french. I have a e5500 too and first tried to install with tonyosx86 (or something like that) and have had nearly the same problem than you. Then i found another boot disk wish is empire efi.. worked fine. hope it will help. About the name you missed, i don't know if it matters

bootcd is just for installation

get rid of it as quickly as possible, installing the "chameleon" and the "install Extra"

after

go to the folder and copy the kext you need

reboot with-f-v

I advise you to use the "arch=i386"

At first, excuse me for my bad english, i'm french. I have a e5500 too and first tried to install with tonyosx86 (or something like that) and have had nearly the same problem than you. Then i found another boot disk wish is empire efi.. worked fine. hope it will help. About the name you missed, i don't know if it matters

Thanks for the info about empire EFI. On you dell E5500 are you running 10.5 or 10.6? does the sound and touch pad work for you? they aren't working for me

bootcd is just for installation

get rid of it as quickly as possible, installing the "chameleon" and the "install Extra"

after

go to the folder and copy the kext you need

reboot with-f-v

I advise you to use the "arch=i386"

Thanks for the information and please excuse my newbiness to this as it's my first hackintosh.

I'm a bit confused on the "kexts" I understand they are like drivers but I'm unsure how to install them or how to find the ones I need.

I try to boot with out the boot disk but once i'm at the chameleon screen and select my hard drive I receive and error message asking me to hold down the power button. I've attached a picture of the screen I get.

I have installed "chameleon" and the "install Extra" and tried to use the -f-v switches but still get the power button error

what is "arch=i386" and how do I use it?

Here are a quick list of the hardware that's in my dell

Processors

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors

Chipset

Intel® 45 Express Chipset

Graphics Cards

Intel® 4500MHD Graphics Acelerator

Bluetooth:

Bluetooth Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth® 2.1

cheers

post-538240-1277252740_thumb.jpg

So I went ahead and reinstalled SL again ran the Chameleon and install extra packs then I went into the KEXT folder and started copying all the kext files from that folder into System/Library/Extensions/

I wasn't sure what I would need so I started to copy them all, in the process it popped up a black screen that had something about how many nanoseconds of uptime the computer had, then it just froze. I tried restarting it without and with the boot disc. with out the boot disk from the chameleon menu after I select SL install with switch -f-v it still give me the message that I need to turn off the computer. When I boot with the boot disk it doesn't boot just loads a bunch of black screen with white texts and stops stating how many nano seconds the machine was up

what step am I missing?