New to OSX, trying to get ethernet working

shthap3ns

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user to OS X, so all this is a bit confusing to me. I apologize if I'm asking something wrong here, but I've searched the forums and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get my ethernet working. I've got a Intel Pro/100 VE ethernet card, works in Windows XP. I installed osx 10.4.6 (JaS) and everything seems to be working except for my audio and ethernet. My computer is a Dell E510.

I've read about kext files and Tulip. I have no idea what to do with .kext files, and Tulip requires me to download the xcode developer's tools from the apple site, which I can't do since I don't have internet. In any case, Tulip doesn't seem to support my network card.

System Profiler doesn't show a network card under "Hardware" but if I click Network it shows a "Built-in Ethernet" with BSD Device Name en0. Network Diagnostics shows built-in ethernet as "failed", network settings as "failed" along with everything else. In System Preferences, if I go into Network and look at the NEtwork Port Configurations, there is a Built-in Ethernet there but it is grayed out and I cannot check the box to make it active.

Is there something I'm missing here? Can someone please explain what I should try or do next? I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

shthap3ns

Well, it's amazing what a LITTLE bit more searching can do...after following dscrap's advice on this thread: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...2243&st=220

For those who have this problem, check posts #232 and #233

I was able to get my Ethernet connection up and working. Thanks dscrap! I'm now posting on my Ethernet-enabled Hackintosh!